Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

Everyone knows about the old "he loves me, he loves me not"

Everyone knows about the old "he loves me, he loves me not" game. I heard that it came from a story in which a princess does this as she plucks petels from a flower one-by-one and throws the petels into a nearby river. Is this true, and what story is it?

The only book this has came from would be the Bible:

http://godshammer.wordpress.com/2012/03/16/he-loves-me-he-loves-me-not/

Please provide a positive rating!

Glad I could be of assistance and God bless; Happy Holidays!

Travis B.
Travis B., Internet Researcher
Experience: 7+ Years! Will find you any information you need!
My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your questions.

Don't forget the deposit you placed to ask this question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service. Remember that when you are asked to give a rating you are rating My Service and not this website or your situation.

The origin of this is actually French, though the original author or year is not actually known to be confirmed.

Effeuiller la marguerite the original game is usually played with an ox-eyed daisy where the player, tests the object of affection of another person by pulling a petal off each alternating verse as a way to confirm or disprove the love of another person each play. Obviously this is purely left to chance as the outcome could be different between 2 flowers but obviously this game is merely for simple amusement.

It is a simple actual "game" but obviously its purely left to chance based on the number of petals on each individual flower.

I hope this helps - its a tough thing to answer when the origins or beginnings of a song, phrase or game isn't well known. Please remember to leave a rating and if you need anything else please let me know!
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience: Senior Information Specialist

The original game of using daisy petals or the Daisy Oracle, did come from a story: Goethe's Faust part one of which was actually completed in 1806. Since flowers were always associated with love they became a symbol of the game showing love. This link goes over the origin and how it was quoted in the story: http://treasuryislands.wordpress.com/2012/02/29/origins-the-daisy-oracle-he-loves-me-he-loves-me-not/

I hope this answers your question regarding what story it originated from.

Joan

Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience: I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.