Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

approximately how long ago did C A F compressed asbestos fiber

approximately how long ago did C A F compressed asbestos fiber jointing stop being in general use in England.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question.

CAF compressed asbestos fiber jointing wasn't specifically banned, but rather general bans on various types of asbestos began to be enacted in the 1980's. In 1985, the use of blue and brown asbestos was banned. The white type, which is less dangerous, had some limitations put on it in 1992, but its use was still allowed. In 1999, the UK banned the use of all asbestos. Much of the jointing you asked about was made of the white (chrysotile) type, so 1999 would have been when it was banned. Because these laws were all rather piecemeal, in 2006, all were consolidated into the Control of Asbestos Regulations. A small loophole remains in that asbestos manufactured before November 1999 can still be used in limited applications. For all practical purposes the jointing was banned in 1999. You can confirm this information about asbestos laws in the UK here:

http://www.asbestos.com/mesothelioma/uk/legislation.php

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna

If you are satisfied with this answer, please be sure to rate only SMILEY FACES to complete this transaction, or, if you are not 100% satisfied, click on REPLY and let me know what else you need. Thank you.