General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Does chloramine evaporate from drinking water if you let it

set for a while?...
Does chloramine evaporate from drinking water if you let it set for a while?
11/30/2012
Michael
Michael, Librarian
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Research I have just done shows that Chloramine, unlike chlorine, will not evaporate from water by itself and not all water filters that remove chlorine will remove chloramine.

Here is information from the San Francisco Public Utilities District on removal:

http://www.ecologycenter.org/factsheets/waterquality_eastbay.html

Are there any filters for home use that will remove chloramine from drinking water?

My research looking at cities that have on their website on this issue all say that one should contact a local carrier of home water filters for information on chloramine-removing filters.

A quick search online shows many companies that sell filters for home use:

https://www.google.com/#q=chloramine+drinking+water+filter&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=u&source=univ&tbm=shop&sa=X&ei=nfq4UPfCDZHRigLl8IGgDw&ved=0CMgBELMY&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=b109830420ce77f5&bpcl=39314241&biw=1085&bih=685

For independent review, here is what Consumer Reports has on filters:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/water-filters.htm
A quick write-up on their reviews of filters for you:

http://news.consumerreports.org/home/2011/11/winners-tapped-in-consumer-reports-latest-water-filter-test.html
Michael
Michael, Librarian
Michael
Michael
Michael, Librarian