General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Im going to Israel from Nov 22 to Dec 1, 2012. How can I choose the best travel ins

I'm going to Israel from...
I'm going to Israel from Nov 22 to Dec 1, 2012.
How can I choose the best travel insurance that includes medical?
How can I choose the best medical evacuation insurance?
How can I choose the best overseas cell phone?
Thanks Jeff
11/13/2012
Michael
Michael, Librarian
Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Sounds like a great trip so good to be prepared before you travel.

First, for travel insurance, there are plenty of sites online that you can purchase travel insurance from. The travel folks at Fromers recommend that you check with your travel agent for insurance. The research from Consumer reports recommend something that I sent to another customer awhile back which was to contact InsureMyTrip.com, which sells coverage from 21 carriers, including CSA Travel Protection, MedJet Assist, and Travelex. Before you decide to purchase talk to the representative to get a sample copy of the policy, ask if your specific concerns are covered. For medical policies, be sure to ask about coverage for pre-existing conditions.

Second, The US State Department maintains lists on its website of companies that provide medical evacuations as well as insurance to cover such a potentially costly endeavor. Companies such as International SOS - which also provides pre-trip guidance and has a list of medical providers the company recommends around the world

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1470.html

http://www.internationalsos.com/en/

Third, best overseas cell phone coverage I would refer to the folks at CNET who do a great job going over what you will need as well as the best carriers. Knowing the difference between GSM and CDMA. GSM and CDMA are the main cell phone networks in use in the world today. Their report is right on the mark: http://reviews.cnet.com/world-phone-guide/

Hi thanks for your information.

I meant something a little different

-which cell phone rental company is most recommended? eg TravelCell

-there are many travel insurance companies- which are rated as best service when there is a problem.

-is there a rating for evacuation insurance based on actually providing the services requested.

I already have used InsureMytrip. Unfortunately all their customer reviews address the courtesy of sales staff, not the company's actual performance when there is a problem.

can you find information on these points please?

Thanks!

Let me see what I can research and get back to you sometime today.
1. Researched reviews from trusted sources like travel sites Lonely Planet and Trip Advisor and recommendations for http://israelphones.com and (http://www.talknsave.net/ (although no reviews currently for a few months). http://www.amigo-us.com/locations.cfm had good marks as well.

Review for rental phones from travel site Fromer's seems to like Amigo, Cellular Abroad, and Israel Phones. Here is their overview: http://www.frommers.com/destinations/israel/0227028803.html

2. You are correct about many services out there for travel insurance. The list from Fromer's I believe is a good one to work with since they are all rated by the BBB. http://www.frommers.com/articles/6438.html

3. Consumer Reports refers to InsureMyTrip.com for insurance related information. They offer 62 plans and can put together something for you to work with: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/travel/what-if-your-vacation-plans-go-kablooey-1105/index.htm

From Consumer Reports:
The following companies provide travel insurance to travelers who live in the US. (Because of varying insurance regulations, Canadian policies differ.)

Access America Intl, CSA, Health Care Abroad,Intl SOS Assistance,

Travel Guard, The Travelers, Travelex, Worldwide Assistance
Wanted to send this update to you as not sure what airline you are taking but wanted you to be aware just in case:

http://www.philly.com/philly/business/breaking/20121115_US_Airways_issues_Tel_Aviv_travel_advisory.html
Michael
Michael, Librarian
Michael
Michael
Michael, Librarian