Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

I live in an area where there is alot of commercial agriculture

I live in an area where there is alot of commercial agriculture and I believe many of the farmers in the area are using raw turkey and hog manure to spread on their fields. Is this legal?

Librarian Michael :

Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Librarian Michael :

First thing I would check would be the civic code in your local state and/or community. That said, I located information from NC State university that talks about using manure in the ground for farming. Issue 18 below in the link gives a good explanation on this very topic: http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/programs/extension/manure/awm/program/barker/questions/q_doc.html

Librarian Michael :

Issue 19 and 20 also explain the do's and don't of manure farming.

Customer:

Thank you. They are bringing load after load and the smell is repulsive. I always thought it had to be aged and at that point it no longer smelled. Anyway, I will take a look at the link.

Librarian Michael :

Sorry about the smell as I would think that if that continued that you can contact the local civic government to let them know about the smell.

Librarian Michael :

There must be something in the books on smell in the air.

Customer:

Maybe, but we are really rural. I'll see what I can do. Thanks!