General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Hello, Im a university student Majoring in Biology, and minoring

Hello, I'm a university student...
Hello, I'm a university student Majoring in Biology, and minoring in english and professional writing. My GPA is above 2.0 and I'm wondering what my options will be for getting a well paying job in this area of study. Of course I'm familiar with a few, but I would like to explore more.
10/28/2012
Josie-Mod
Josie-Mod, Moderator

Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

As long as you can find a Job expert then that will be great, thank you.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher
As a Biology major, you can work in research, teaching, sales, extension services, technical writing, or as a lab research worker.

>You can work for a Contract Research Organization (CRO) that provides research support to the pharmaceutical/biotech industry. The pay is not great, but once you get one to two years experience, you could get work at pharmaceutical companies that pay more.

>You can communicate about science through writing in the position of a copy writer, most likely for a biotech company. Copy writers produce the written material for marketing products or their message to the market about a product via a print ad, email blast, banner ad, webpage or a flyer.

>Technical writing, which includes writing handbooks/ product manuals and application notes, instructs exactly how something should be done.

>Science journalism involves producing content for newspapers, magazines and websites (just like I am doing now). You can either work freelance or as a staff writer, employed directly by the publication. Either way, though, the competition is tough.

>Science Teacher with a bachelor's degree in biology and the appropriate training to gain teaching certification, you can teach at the elementary or secondary school levels.
National pay data for high school teachers show annual average salaries ranging from $33, 856 to $53,526 including bonuses.

>A Medical Research Assistant provides assistance to the Medical Scientist by conducting research related to the understanding of human diseases as well as the gathering of data used for the improvement of human health. National annual pay ranges from $28,461 to $38,785.

The Center for Disease Control (CDC) has a lot of opportunities and training. See links below:
CDC Writer and Editors
http://www.cdc.gov/about/opportunities/careers/writer.htm
CDC Microbiologist technicians
http://www.cdc.gov/about/opportunities/careers/microbiologists.htm

Most of the highest paying jobs in the field of biology require advanced degrees and specializations. Therefore, if you are seeking more dynamic science career, you should consider graduate school and focusing on an exact field of biology such as Microbiology, Bioengineering, Biophysics, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Wildlife Biology, Botany, and Zoology.

I hope this gives you a good start with new ideas! Please be sure to rate my response using the star system so that I can be credited for my time. After that, I will I will be happy to discuss any additional information needed.

Good customer service is one of my highest priorities! Please use the REPLY tab with any issues that come up regarding the service you have received. Come back soon and remember to ask for Patience P!
Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher

How many years would I have to do at Graduate school? I'm interested in biodiversity research because I'm very good at plant and animal physiology and I like ecology as well as evolutionary biology that allows us to trace our ancestors to determine change in the ecosystem, and how species react to that change. What category would this go under, because I don't know what to pursue in Graduate school which is why I was wondering what I could do with my degree.

I'm also interested in Science journalism, and was wondering how much you make depending on who you write for, correct?

Hi again!

I would advise taking more time to do some research on schools, fellowships, internships, job possibilities etc. I am sending you some links to get you started; see below:

Check out http://www.biologyjobs.com/ to get a sense of the lay of the land.

There are many Biology graduate programs in Conservation and/or Biodiversity. Check the majors for schools in your area or others that you would like to attend. These take on average a year and a half or tow to get a masters degree. A very serious researcher or one who wants to be a college professor may have to take at least an additional year or two to get a PhD.

The following link gives good advice for students who are considering careers in conservation or wildlife science. http://kids.mongabay.com/lesson_plans/conservation_career.html

There are masters programs in Science Journalism, as well. However, a formal postgraduate qualification is not compulsory to become a science journalist, but it may be helpful in having a competitive edge. You can check out the following link to find out more about this: http://sciencecareers.sciencemag.org/career_magazine/previous_issues/articles/2005_05_20/noDOI.4753560538994825556

Also take a look at the Guide to Careers in Science Writing by the Council for the Advancement of Science Writing : http://www.casw.org/casw/guide-careers-science-writing

Even without graduate education, internships or volunteer work are just about a must. Many major science media companies and publishers will offer such internships for students who wish to make their way into science writing or journalism.

Books About Science Writing:
A Field Guide for Science Writers. 2nd ed. 2005. Deborah Blum, Mary Knudson, and Robin Marantz Henig, eds. 0-19-517499-2
Ideas into Words: Mastering the Craft of Science Writing. 2003. Elise Hancock. 978-0-801-88132-9

Please don’t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions. Good luck in your explorations, Patience P.
Patience
Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher