How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Cher Your Own Question
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 21449
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...
Cher is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have student loans that total approximately 40,000. i have

This answer was rated:

i have student loans that total approximately 40,000. i have been living with bipolar disorder for at least 12 years and have been unable to finish school because of this illness and unable to sustain employment for any reasonable length of time. is there any way that my student loans can be discharged or forgiven due to a medical illness?

Hello, Cameron and welcome back to Just Answer.

It may be possible, depending on your lenders, for your student loans to be discharged or forgiven, if you contact the lenders, tell them that you are unable to pay the loans due to being unemployed because of a disability (illness), and if you have been diagnosed by your doctor with a permanent disability not allowing you to work for any reasonable length of time, you may qualify to have your loan discharged if your doctor will write a letter affirming this.

For the moment, you may ask your lenders that your loan be put into forbearance or deferment until you can get this figured out and submit for permanent disability. This may help you not being hassled for payments, but interest may still accrue. However, that shouldn't matter if your loan ends up being discharged.

I wish you much good luck!

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please click 'Reply to Expert' before rating, direct your reply to me, "Cher", and I will be glad to continue our conversation.

IMPORTANT: If you found my answer helpful, please choose a positive rating like this one Laughing for 'Excellent Service', so I may receive credit from the site for assisting you. Thanks!

Please rate with positive feedback (smiley) when you are satisfied with my answer. Your satisfaction is my greatest priority.

Best regards,

Cher and 44 other General Specialists are ready to help you