Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience:  MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
61840635
Type Your Question Here...

I was in posession Of a life ins. policy from my step father

I was in posession Of a life ins. policy from my step father naming me as sole benificiary before He passed away. When he passed on Iwas taking care of my mom and things were really hecktic and I lost the policy. Now 2 years later I do not know the ins. co or agent or policy # XXXXX any thing helpful. Is there somekind of Life ins registry that I may find out something from? Also my mom passed and I had been named on a policy from her too which she showed me 2 months before her demise. That policy also disappeared. Is there any hope to find this lost info?

Patience :

Hi- i am so sorry for your troubles at this difficult time. Fortunately there is some hope!

Patience :
Try searching for insurance-related paperwork in files, safety deposit boxes, desks, home safes and other places where important papers might be kept. If your parents wrote checks to pay premiums, the insurer's name should be written on those checks. You can go through their checking account statements or canceled checks. If those are not available, try contacting the bank directly for copies of old checks.

On the other hand, they may have paid premiums by credit card, so check their credit card statements.

Look in address books for contact information for insurance agents and their companies. Contact former employers to check if the insurance was through the company. Contact current and prior financial advisors who may have known about the life insurance policy.

The National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) has a “Life Insurance Company Location System” to help you find specific state insurance department personnel who might help identify companies that could have written a policy on your relative. Fill out forms at https://eapps.naic.org/orphanedpolicy/question4.do to access the system.

If the insurance was purchased within the last 14 years, MIB Group may have records, because they maintain a database of life insurance application data to reduce fraud. Records won't show policy information, but they will show insurance applications information. Record searches can be made for $75 each. If you want to use their Policy Locator service go to http://www.mib.com/lost_life_insurance.html
Patience :

Paul Archibald, a retired insurance professional in Virginia, runs a Lost Life Insurance Finding Expert service at http://www.l-lifeinsurance.com/. Archibald will fax letters to customer service centers at insurance companies, asking if your deceased relative had any life insurance policies which designated you as the beneficiary.

If it has been awhile since payments were made, you could try the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrator’s www.MissingMoney.com website where you can conduct a free online national search for missing money and unclaimed life insurance policies that have been turned over to the state.

All the best to you! Please be sure to rate my response using the star system so that I can be credited for my time. After that, I will I will be happy continue our discussion if you need any additional information or insight.

Good customer service is one of my highest priorities! Please use the REPLY tab with any issues that come up regarding the service you have received. Come back soon and remember to ask for Patience P!

If it has been awhile since payments were made, you could try the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrator’s MissingMoney.com website where you can conduct a free online national search for missing money and unclaimed life insurance policies that have been turned over to the state.