Michael
Michael, Librarian
Experience:  20+ years as information professional
70951075
Type Your Question Here...

How do i get my back yard soil level for planting a lawn?

Our friend put 3 rowes of 5 wooden stakes pre row in the 60ft x 100ft lawn area and said the area was "at Grade" with a 1% pitch away from the house. Well those stakes maybe all the same height with the soil but not all of the soil is the same height with the stakes, there are high and low spots thru-out.
How doi get the bumbs & dips out to plant an even lawn?
PS. with-in the lawn area there are 2 mulberry trees.

Librarian Michael :

Hello, Thank you for using this service. I wish to introduce myself. I am a Research Librarian with 20+ years of experience.

Just a month ago I had my back yard redone with a new lawn and the workman had to even out the dirt as I had a small dip that I wanted even. Dug out the old lawn and then added lots of dirt with tools to even it out.

Below is information from the national gardening association that I hope can be of some help:

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-level-your-lawn-area.html

Hope this helps and please review my answer so I get an understanding on how my answer has helped.

Customer:

thank you for the website and it 's comforting to know that you just had this done

thanks

Lawn came out great as the crew I had used hand-held tools and not machine to take out the old lawn. Hard work but now it looks great. Once it is even, then new grass and water everyday for at least a week or two I was told. Wait at least two weeks before you cut the new lawn.