Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant
Experience:  25+ Years in the field
23511658
Type Your Question Here...

This is not a printers question. I need to know exactly how

This is not a printers question.
I need to know exactly how to load a side load packing tape dispenser so it will work properly. Can you help?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello. I can assist you with your question.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The tape should be loaded so that the back (not sticky) side goes against the roller

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Then it should go up, by the cutter so that the plastic flange presses the tape down when you press it to cut.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I think this will clear things up.

Customer:

Thanks I think I get it. I had inserted the tape correctly. After applying you have to really turn the dispenser forward

to get the tape to cut off which I didn't figure out.

However afterward the tape still just flies around, and with all the things sticking out the dispenser it seems to me

there should be something (like the flange that keeps the tape on the roller) or some way to keep

the end of the tape in place after it is applied to the package, the dispenser turned forward and

the tape cut?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The tape actually just hangs out.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It is static electricity that (sometimes) holds the back of the tape to the roller.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

When you cut the tape though, there should still be enough of the tape hanging out to start taping again.

Customer:

OK - on the one I have there is a metal strip holding the sticky side of the tape in place on the roller

which makes a little bit harder to roll but keeps the tape in place on the roller. I guess if you practice slapping it down

like the pro movers probably you get good at it. So far I have wasted a lot of tape.

Just curious has anyone else asked your site about this issue? The manufacturers should probably be more helpful

and provide more guidance?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I haven't seen any questions about it personally, but it's probably more a matter of pride than anything. Because I don't think there's anyone that's used one of these that actually thinks there isn't a better way.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It's always seemed to me to be one of those things that you never really know if you're using it correctly because it never really works well.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The trick that I have found that makes it all make more sense to me is this....

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Let's say I'm going to tape the top of a box.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I pull the tape out a few inches and push it down on the side of the box - then with the tape dispenser never actually touching the box, I pull it up over the corner and out far enough to expose enough tape for the top. THEN I bring it down on top of the box, around the next edge, and finally press the dispenser down with the flick of my wrist to make the flange press down, and then pull to cut the tape.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

So, I never roll the roller over the box... I just tack down the end of the tape, then pull it so I have a long piece that I can just apply all at once.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

There is usually also a tensioning adjustment in the middle of the thing the roll goes on that you can adjust the spindle to be easier or harder to turn.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I made a little animation for you showing how I do it.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Please remember to rate my level of service before leaving. And let me know if you have any remaining questions.

Customer:

Pretty slick.

Nice job

Thank you