General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

What is the best way to remove black mold from vynal boat seats

What is the best way...
What is the best way to remove black mold from vynal boat seat's ?
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/25/2012
researchgal339
researchgal339, Librarian
Hello! Thank you for using this service. I am a Research Librarian with 13 years of experience.

Good morning! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to help you with this information.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

For a quick fix, Magic Eraser (made by Mister Clean), sold in grocery stores, can quickly remove mold or mildew spots on boat seats. But be aware that those are likely to return because Magic Eraser will not kill the fungus that causes the mold.

Since you already employed bleach and ammonia in the cleaning process, for stubborn mold/mildew stains, try the following:

Remove any surface mold with a dry brush before cleaning. Vacuum the area to prevent mold spores from scattering. Mix a solution of equal parts isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) and warm water. Scrub the seats with a clean scrub brush dipped into this cleaning solution. Rinse out the scrub brush often while cleaning. If you can let the solution air dry on the seats, that supposedly works best but if not, dry the seats thoroughly with a clean rag.

Of course, the easiest solution to cleaning vinyl boat seats could be to purchase a cleaner from a marine supply store or online supplier, such as these ones:

MaryKate Mildew Stain Remover
http://www.amazon.com/MaryKate-MK3732-Mildew-Stain-Remover/dp/B003OUMVX2

OR

Attwood
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-22-oz-Mildew-Stain-Remover/16351033

PLEASE NOTE: When using household chemicals, please be very careful never to mix bleach and ammonia, thoroughly rinse off the boat seats with a rag and soapy water before switching from one cleaning solution to another. It is also highly recommended to wear rubber gloves and protective eye wear.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please let me know if these solutions have been helpful to you.

Best,
Susan
researchgal339
researchgal339, Librarian

Hello !!! Mr Clean did not get the black stain's off of my white vynal boat seat's. I am going to Wall-Mart to purchas the Attwood Stain Remover product and see if that will work.

If that doesn't work I will go to a boat marine supply store to purchas the Mary Kate / stain remover product
If that doesn't work I will be getting back with you for any suggestion's that you might help me with this problem.

researchgal339
researchgal339
researchgal339, Librarian