General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Which self-publishing company is going to give me the most

Customer Question
"bang for my buck" if...
Which self-publishing company is going to give me the most "bang for my buck" if you know what I mean? I need editorial services, graphic designers, as much marketing as possible....the whole nine yards. Who would you recommend?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: General
9/8/2012
Expert: Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist replied 5 years ago
Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist

Hello again,

I understand the frustration, since I just went through this process myself. However, the answer won't be the same for every writer, so there is no one right answer. Most self-publishers offer a range of services for the things you want, with separate pricing for each. For example, at LuLu.com, you can pay for editorial services and distribution. The same is true of most of the other self-publishing firms. Having someone do the marketing for you will be the most expensive part. A nice cover by a graphic designer is very important and can be expensive. Here is one company that does a good job of that:

www.houndstudios.com

As for the most bang for your buck, you can't look at prices only. Many of the lower priced companies you'll find online don't deliver as nice of an end product as the higher priced ones. If you end up with a book that looks 'cheap,' no amount of marketing will help. For that reason, I recommend sticking with the reputable companies that other writers have used with satisfaction. The ones I gave you yesterday fit that description. I know writers who have used those firms and are happy with them. Here they are again:

http://www.abbottpress.com/

www.outskirtspress.com

http://www2.xlibris.com/

http://www.trafford.com/

You've already spoken with two companies, and that's good. As the next step, I suggest that you choose two or three more companies, contact them by email or phone, and tell them what you have in mind. They can give you estimates on what they offer. Then you can make an informed decision. Extensive online research can become more and more confusing. I prefer to rely on what real writers have to say, rather than what the companies say about themselves. That's how I made my own decision.

I do wish I could just tell you, "Go here. It's the best." Unfortunately, there is no 'best' that fits all of us. At this point, I would stop researching, choose a few, and learn more about them. There comes a point where moving forward to the next step is the best thing to do. I think you're at that point.

Anna

Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Anna
Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist