SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

how do you get dried latex paint off the interior of an automobiles

how do you get dried latex paint off the interior of an automobiles leather seats?
Hi my name isXXXXX own and operate my region's premier automotive detailing service that focuses on finish restoration and preservation.

What kind of leather is this - or better yet is it spilled or splattered.

Is the leather perforated or flat panel leather?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Its spotted on my flat panel leather. Thanks!!

Hi Rodney, thank you for the additional information.

So first thing is - your leather IS coated with a pseudo urethane coating - its there for durability unless the vehicle is a Ford King Ranch or an older exotic car which are actual "hides". What this means is you can usually use slightly more strong products on it IF you needed to.

Usually you can just basically carefully push the raised dots off of the coating, which should release reasonably easily. Just do a small section that is harder to see so you know this will work.

Next you need to try a gentle solution of dawn in water(maybe roughly 15:1) with a light softer brush being cognizant of the surrounding area because you can actually dull the finish on newer leathers. Work a lather up check your work and go from there. Just be aware of the coating. The other trick that works is (first testing) an area with olive oil. Dab on, let sit for a little, then remove.

Keep in mind, you may need to use the oil then clean with the soap and water. Either way, be sure the leather is clean when completed to make sure any leftover detergents don't attract more soiling.

It may take a few applications, but again just test in an inconspicuous spot to be sure you are safe - many times people aren't aware their leather has been "repaired" until they go nuts cleaning it only to find out it had been redyed.