General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Hi...:) I am looking for a Vintage Christmas Book. I was born

in 1960 and we had...
Hi...:) I am looking for a Vintage Christmas Book. I was born in 1960 and we had that book from my earliest memory. It was larger than a regular book, and with a lot of Gold embellishment. I first thought maybe it was a Night before Chrismas book, but then thinking more....it seemed to be about the North Pole and elves and a really Old looking stairways and hallways and big Castle like rooms with elves making toys and there was a child in the story. The Santa was a more modern Santa than the 1800's Santas with long long beards. But the really chubby Red Cheeked Santa and beautiful White Hair and a longer beard than present day Santa. I know....this is impossible....LOL...but it's one of my favorite memories and sadly both of my parents have been gone a long time, and that book has been long gone. I wish I could give you more info, but it was beautifully illustrated with so much detail and I felt like I was there...:) Thank you for your time. Cheri
7/15/2012
Angela--Mod
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find a Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
I have not received an answer yet and I do appreciate your help..thank you!!

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.

Well, it's probably hopeless....but I thought it couldn't hurt to try!!! :)

Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a Professional or if you would like us to close your question. Thank you for your understanding!

I think if we can try a little longer?
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Hello Cheri, and welcome back to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would love to help you locate this book. I understand how much it means to you.

If you can remember any word(s) in the title and/or the name (if it was given) of the child (boy or girl?) in the story, this would be helpful.

Do you remember if it had a plot/story, or was it basically about Santa and his elves making toys for Christmas? Was there any 'moral' to the story?

Did it have a hard cover and were there illustrations on the cover? If so, can you remember anything about the illustrations, colors, etc.?

Was the story long or short?

Thanks for any additional information you can remember, and I will begin my search for you.

Best regards,
Cher
Hello again, Cheri.

Please see if any of these books look familiar:
http://www.oldchildrensbooks.com/books/holly-berry-and-mistletoe-19347

http://www.oldchildrensbooks.com/books/tenggrens-night-before-christmas-19379

You also might try http://www.loganberrybooks.com/nostalgia.html

Could it possibly have been 'Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus'?
http://www.amazon.com/Yes-Virginia-There-Santa-Claus/dp/0762411201/ref=pd_sim_b_27

There are still some sites I'm researching and I will get additional information to you as I find it, but I wanted to get this information to you in the meantime.

IMPORTANT: I hope you are satisfied with my answer and will choose a positive rating like this one Laughing for 'Excellent Service', so I may receive credit for my help.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please click 'Reply to Expert' before rating, and I will be happy to assist you further.

Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Good Morning Cher.....thank you so much for trying to help me...:) The book was more along the lines of the Yes Virginia there is a Santa Clause...But the book was a large one, hardcover, and I remember the Cover was more Golden around the edges and really "antiquey" very detailed illustrations. It was almost like a work of art in my memory. I want to say the child was a boy, and the Santa in this book is like the Jolliest of Santa illustrations The VERY chubby cheeks, almost like he has lipstick on his lips, snow white hair and longer, and longer beard, but not the incredibly long beard of the older 1800's Santa.and the inside pages had the very warmest glow and soooo detailed of elves, Santa, I want to say the little boy had or carried a candle.....Sighhhh....I wish I had a better memory of this book. I can see it....maybe the title had North Pole in it? But I could be wrong. You would think I could remember. I am sorry this is so little to go on, but I appreciate your help!!! :) Thank you!
Hello again, Cheri and you're most welcome! It's my pleasure to try to help you locate this book, which I understand is very important to you! : )

Thanks very much for your reply with additional and helpful information.

I will take your additional details and incorporate them into my search and hopefully, they will lead to the correct path to find the book.

I'll be back in touch with you to let you know my progress and of course, if/when I find it!

Best regards,
Cher
Thank you Cher.....I take it as a good sign that your name is XXXXX XXXXX same as mine...lol....thank you for your help.....Blessings!! :)
Hi again, Cheri and you're most welcome.

You must have ESP! Smile I'm currently researching as we 'speak'.......no luck yet. I'm finding books that may somewhat match your description, but they are 'newer'.

Yes, I noticed that immediately; our names ARE XXXXX XXXXX is short for 'Cheryl'. Is yours French?

Best regards,
Cher
LOL...noooo mine is short for Cheryl too...:) Cheryl Lynn!! But noone calls me that unless they are really mad!! :) gosh I wish how I could tell you more about this book!!! :) the book was soooooo beautiful....and I think 60's? but quite possibly early 70's, but I thought nooooo because it seems like I have always remembered it! :) I wish you could find it, because i KNOW you would love it too!! :) And I have a really good glass of cab if that will help your search!?!!?.....:) :)
LOL Did you know that 'Cher', the singer's real name is Cherilyn? Sounds like 'Cheryl Lynn'! lol

Thanks for the offer, but a good glass of Cab would blur my search! lol

Very frustrating; you've described it well, from what you remember, but I'm not getting very far. Was this just a story book, was it a 'chapter' book, was it for very young children? Did it need to be read to you, or could you read it yourself, and if so, at what age?

I'm finding so many older books that I recognize from MY childhood, but none about Christmas that fits the bill. Did it have any animal characters in it?

Thanks,
Cher
hmmmm do not remember any animals except maybe some reindeer....and i am sure maybe it was read at some point to me, but I remember reading it as well...it seems maybe that the child was there unbeknownst to Santa for a bit.....I remember pictures with Santa and his finger along side his nose/mouth...and the rooms in the book looked cavernous almost.....It was almost like you could get lost in this book....I really felt like I was there...inside those rooms....:) :) that is why I loved it so!!! :) and hahahhaaaaaaaa about the blurred search!!! okkkk...after your search...successful or not!! :)
Hi again, Cheri.

My apologies, but after much searching, I am not able to find this book for you. I will still continue to look and if I come across it I will be sure to let you know, but for now, I will leave your question open for other experts.

I do hope you are able to find it; I know it means a lot to you!

Best wishes,
Cher
Awww that's ok Cher....I appreciate so much that you tried......if I ever find it...you will be the first to know!! :) :)
Hi again, Cheri and thanks for your gracious reply.

It was my pleasure to try to find this book for you. I know how much it means. Thanks for offering to let me know if you ever find it! I will do the same; believe it or not, it's just as frustrating for me when I can't find something I'm looking for, and I will continue to search for this book.

Best regards,
Cher (no reply is needed at this time, but I have a feeling we'll be back in touch at some time in the future! : ) )
My parents died when I was 22, about 8 months apart. They had been together since they were 14 and losing my Momma killed my Daddy...I will always believe that!! I had the very best childhood.....and that Christmas book was a part of that wonderful memory.....It means a lot to me that you have tried so hard to find it!!! :) Thank you for not only doing your job, but being so amazingly kind while you do!!! :) Cheri
Hi again, Cheri and thanks very much for your reply, your positive rating and your very kind words; they are all most appreciated.

I'm so sorry to hear that you tragically lost both your parents within such a short period of time and at such a young age. I understand completely, how that Christmas book was part of your wonderful childhood memories and that's why it means so much to you to find it.

I told you that I would continue to research this for you and I meant it.

I hope I get to speak with you again, to relate the news that I have found your Christmas book! Laughing

All my best,
Cher
If I weren't so broke this week helping grandbabies and my daughters...lol...you would have gotten a bonus too!!! :) But you will!!! :) thank you for trying to help.....Sweet dreams!! :)
Oh Cheri, you're too sweet!

You're so very welcome, and I'm book-searching as I write this! OH! I just got very excited! I found this book with Santa's finger next to his nose on the cover and the description of the story and illustrations sound like it may be IT! But, the people who have read this as a child, say in their reviews that the newer version 'collector's edition' was a little disappointing as the illustrations and text have been changed a bit and are not as beautiful as the original, so I'm going to try to find the original with this title. Original hardcover may have been printed in 1961.

http://www.amazon.com/Jolly-Santa-Claus-Patricia-Pingry/dp/0824941829/ref=cm_cr_pr_orig_subj Read all the reviews on this page and click on links in reviews to see more.

http://ebogie.blogspot.com/2008/12/vintage-christmas-books.html

First, Santa lives in a golden CASTLE, second, one of the reviewers mentions, 'uh oh, a boy spies Santa.' I don't know if this means in the castle or in his (the boy's) home, when he comes down the chimney, but it seems to include many of the elements you described.

Please tell me if the cover and the storyline sound like what you remember.

Here is a long list of both new and used books from different booksellers, but they all seem to be the 2000 'collector's edition'.
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=dhYqeojZR4aks1oX1yUHUHrxnlI_1765188341_1:46:870&bq=author%3Dpatricia%2520a.%2520pingry%26title%3Djolly%2520old%2520santa%2520claus

I'm still looking for the original hardcover, but it may be out of print or hard to find.....

You're lucky to be a grandmother......I'm still waiting. Right now, I have 3 'furry' (feline) grandchildren, but I became a great-aunt last year! : )

Regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs