General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

GENERAL: ECUADOR RE LOJA AND COTACACHI WEATHER Hello, I

Customer Question
GENERAL: ECUADOR RE LOJA AND...
GENERAL: ECUADOR RE LOJA AND COTACACHI WEATHER

I know that the weather in these areas can be unpredictable and sometimes inconsistent. However, would you give it your best shot and suggest to me what we might expect to encounter during a six-week visit next year from April 1 - May 15? We're exploring this southern region (hope to hike and spend a good amount of time outdoors) and also Cotacachi (same plan) with a view toward investment and future, extended winter stays.

Thanks so much!

Sincerely,
Bob
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: General
6/5/2012
Expert: GeneralistWindylen, Tutor/Mentor replied 5 years ago
GeneralistWindylen
GeneralistWindylen, Tutor/Mentor

Windylen :

Thank you for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today. Will start working on this and will post my answer soon.

Customer:

I'm not quite sure how compensation works, Windylen. I see the "$30." amount to the left and am wondering whether, with my inclusive membership, I will be charged that amount automatically or whether your answer is included in that inclusive membership. Thanks!

Windylen :

If you have question with the charges, you can call the customer service.Let me know if you want me to continue working on this. Thanks a lot!

Hi!I can't find a long range weather forecast for you. You can only check an eleven (11) month weather forecast here http://www.wxtrends.com/. At the upper portion of the front page, check on the products and then click your preferred one. You need to fill out a form to receive the information that you need.
Expert: SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS replied 5 years ago
SpecialistMichael
Bob,

I just wanted to let you know I am typing up an answer for you on what to consider and what to expect in these 2 cities you mentioned.

No thanks.

To Fitness Expert: That reply was an error.

If the fee for your answer is included in my unlimited subscription, I'd very much like to hear from you if you know the Loja / Cotacachi areas.

Thanks.

Alright Bob, my name isXXXXX for the delay I lost what I was typing to you and had to retype.

So generally speaking the weather at elevation around the equator is going to be pretty darn consistent, the lower elevations are usually what are most subject to more variation.

For both cities in Ecuador that you are looking at you are going to need to basically pack for a North American type of spring and some rain gear. The weather, because of the elevation is going to be warm and sunny during the day, cooler at night.

Obviously if you checked the weather right now you could see a forecast of possible thunderstorms and rain, but the reason these places are becoming a "hot spot" or sorts is simply because they are so consistent. Its almost like they are the "San Diego" of S. America with slightly cooler nights. If you needed more "summery" weather you could just head south out of the elevations.

If you are packing, I would pack for a traditional spring, shorts and summer wear for the days, light layers or sweaters and long pants for the night. Since you mentioned planning on hiking presumably at different elevations, I would pack lighter, stripable layers, shorts and rain gear with a hood if you have it just in case you move away from these places for your hikes and you are caught in a downpour. Obviously boots with your rain jacket for the hike but light things that would protect you from the sun as well as more layers in case it gets later or darker. So in short, a "spring" mix.. just in case you hit some rain.

Both cities are considered really consistent weather wise and that is because they don't have the latitudinal fluctuations like any of the Canadian territories and because they are so high in elevation.

I can already see myself retiring here..Smile

Thanks for the advice. Tell me, how what is your familiarity with those areas? Did you live in both regions or are you basing your information on research primarily?

Bob

Unfortunately I missed out on a trip to South America a few years ago due to a nasty injury. Those well familiar with S. America made a great trip to Brasil(one of them ended up staying!) but the trip was planned to train in Brasil but then to hike and travel down the West coast of Ecuador, through Monteverde through Peru and end up in Chile. It would have been my first time down there to be honest but a second or third trip of the group I was going to be with.

A friend and mentor very familiar with W. Brasil would boast about the weather away from the amazons and the S Pacific, where you could imagine the weather is just plain nasty.

Beyond that though, we know that equatorial weather follows relatively similar patterns as well as a lot of places and another stabilizing factor(whether warm or cold) from elevation. Use any of the very southern US, or even the Caribbean as an example, the closer you get to the equator the less seasonal change you get(with the exceptions of spring "rains"). Similar to San Diego(where its basically 72F* year round) the equatorial advantage combined with altitude and the weather (or lack of) coming off of the S. Pacific(which doesn't the jet stream like N. America) makes it very consistent.
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS