General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

I have a Meyer lemon tree that is about 2 feet high in a 16"

pot. I am trying...
I have a Meyer lemon tree that is about 2 feet high in a 16" pot. I am trying to treat it for insects with Bayer advanced citrus insect control. The instructions call for a minimum three foot drip line with 1.5 ounces in a gallon of water followed by a second gallon of water. How do I treat my little tree?
6/4/2012
SpecialistMichael

FitnessSpecialist :

hi are you are available?

FitnessSpecialist :

What would you consider the relative drip line of the tree currently?

FitnessSpecialist :

My name is XXXXX XXXXX the way :_

FitnessSpecialist :

:)

FitnessSpecialist :

how wide is the plant so far being in the 16inch pot?

Customer:

Its probably about two feet. Its just a little tree that puts out a lot of lemons but it is currently being eaten up by insects.

FitnessSpecialist :

what kind of insects?

FitnessSpecialist :

aphids?

Customer:

I was told aphids by someone who looked at it. The leaves have large holes in them

FitnessSpecialist :

what do the little insects look like

FitnessSpecialist :

have you "caught them in the act"?

Customer:

Ok I am going out to look at the tree. about five minutes. I will take measurements also.

FitnessSpecialist :

i can sit tight and stay here

FitnessSpecialist :

if you would like

FitnessSpecialist :

you can take your ime

FitnessSpecialist :

time*

Customer:

The tree is 2 feet high and 3 feet wide. There are no signs of insects other that the large holes in the leaves. Don't aphids leave signs of being present?

FitnessSpecialist :

oh thats great

FitnessSpecialist :

on the size

FitnessSpecialist :

are you planning on keeping it potted for now?

Customer:

Yes I have no reason to move it . Is that necessary to treat it?

FitnessSpecialist :

no no i was just curious

FitnessSpecialist :

usually aphids dont tear big holes in the plants

FitnessSpecialist :

what region of the country are you in?

FitnessSpecialist :

by the way, your drip line is basically the outermost point of the leaves

Customer:

My question is still can I use this product if I adjust the ratio of the mix? I live in LA. Could it be the snails are eating it?

FitnessSpecialist :

well if your trees limbs and leaves are 3 feet you can adhere to the directions

Customer:

Is it okay to pour two gallons of water into that pot?

FitnessSpecialist :

do you have adequate drainage?

Customer:

Yes.

FitnessSpecialist :

citrus plants don't like to be completely submerged

FitnessSpecialist :

thats why i was asking about draining

FitnessSpecialist :

how much are you currently watering it?

FitnessSpecialist :

volume and frequency

FitnessSpecialist :

roughly speaking

Customer:

I hand water every day according to how dry the soil is.

FitnessSpecialist :

do you know roughly how much you are giving?

FitnessSpecialist :

im just thinking that overwatering wouldn't really have an effect ONE time

Customer:

no, I just keep it moist. Any thoughts on what would put those big holes in the leaves?

FitnessSpecialist :

perhaps beetles?

FitnessSpecialist :

let me just see whats native to LA

FitnessSpecialist :

one moment

FitnessSpecialist :

just the leaves? no flower or bud damage?

Customer:

No bud damage. Its filled with buds now and new leaves

FitnessSpecialist :

alright well

FitnessSpecialist :

i did a little native LA research

FitnessSpecialist :

the person who was looking at the tree might be looking at the asian citrus psyllid

FitnessSpecialist :

which is similar looking to the aphid

FitnessSpecialist :

they basically go after leaves and stems

FitnessSpecialist :

you might actually be dealing with acouple of things

FitnessSpecialist :

the psyllid

FitnessSpecialist :

and then maybe a beetle known to tear up leaves.. because on first glance it don't think the psyllids cause such gross recognizable damage

FitnessSpecialist :

what i would do is mix your bayer as you would if the tree with the 3 foot drip line is a non potted plant

FitnessSpecialist :

so i thinnk that would be 1.5 oz

FitnessSpecialist :

(check the label)

FitnessSpecialist :

i would administer half and then half of the additional

FitnessSpecialist :

just in case so you dont run into an issue of grossly over watering

FitnessSpecialist :

ideally you only treat 1 time only

FitnessSpecialist :

have you gone to a nursery with the plant for a diagnosis of the damage on the leaves to be sure?

Customer:

I will try 1 ounce and 1/2 gallon to follow. If it does not clear up I will head back to the nursery. Thank you for your time.

FitnessSpecialist :

I would mix it as a 3 foot drip line

FitnessSpecialist :

but obviously because the plant is potted it will hold much differently than a plant in the ground

FitnessSpecialist :

the solution and the water

FitnessSpecialist :

follow the directions on the concentrate but then adjust for residual moisture and other drainage factors unique to your pot.

FitnessSpecialist :

do you have slugs or butterflies where you are in LA?

Customer:

yes

FitnessSpecialist :

have you checked the plant early in the morning before? typically slugs/snails are out when its a bit more damp..like early morning

FitnessSpecialist :

before sunrise?

Customer:

I will bait it for snails today.

FitnessSpecialist :

ok what i would do before you treat

FitnessSpecialist :

is to actually try to be a bit sure on it

FitnessSpecialist :

dont treat blindly

FitnessSpecialist :

it probably wouldn't hurt it at all if it was snails and you treated for aphid/whiteworms for example but its just easier that way

Customer:

Thanks

FitnessSpecialist :

if you find out its not the snails

FitnessSpecialist :

your drip line is that 3 foot width now

FitnessSpecialist :

and you should be fine on the concentration on the label, just adjust down slightly for the water volume because of the size of your pot and the moisture it holds

FitnessSpecialist :

:)

SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS