Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Is it normal for a can of beans to "pop" when opened. L I

Is it normal for a can of beans to "pop" when opened. L
I used a can opener, but it almost sound like when tennis balls are opened. Maybe not quite, but almost. Thanks
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, and welcome back to Just Answer.

Typically, it's not normal for a can of beans to 'pop' when opened. This may mean that there was a minute hole in the can through which air entered, causing bacteria to form, giving off a gas, which caused the 'pop' you thought you heard. If the can was swollen or dented in any way, this would be a reason for bacteria/gas to be built up in it.

It's always good to abide by this old saying: 'When in doubt, throw it out', especially concerning food. You won't want to risk food a borne illness if there's a possibility that the beans are tainted.

I hope this helped.

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher
Smile
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Luckilly i did not eat them. But now i will be a bit paranoid in the future for popping cans. how serious would it have been, eating the beans, and how long to know if you are ok. I had a new can instead, i didnt notice any popping on that one, but now im a bit paranoid.
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

I'm glad you didn't take a chance and eat them!

Some cans do make a hissing sound when opened, because they are vacuum-packed and the noise is a result of the air pressure escaping. If you've been using this particular brand/variety of beans in the past and this is the first time the can ever 'popped', it was probably not good to eat. The fact that the new can you opened did not 'pop', proved there was something wrong with the first can.

You don't have to be paranoid in the future, just make sure to listen for any hissing or popping sound when you open any can. Different food borne bacteria/illnesses have different effects on the system, which we would rather avoid. It depends on which bacteria infected the food, to know how serious the symptoms would be, how long it would take to know if you were okay or an illness was present. However, with food poisoning, symptoms usually show up in a matter of hours.

Best regards,
Cher
Smile
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So far, its been about 5 hours. Is that a good sign?
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

Yes, that's a good sign; but you said you threw out the can that 'popped', so I don't think you have anything to worry about if you ate the beans from the second can that didn't pop when you opened it.

You can write or email the company who makes the beans and ask if this particular product is 'vacuum packed' and should hiss or pop upon opening, then you'll know for sure and won't have to worry in the future.

Best regards,
Cher
Smile