Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

I just bought a majesty palm and the leaves are turning yellow

Customer Question

I just bought a majesty palm and the leaves are turning yellow like it's been bleached. I went to get lime to make the soil more acidic. Will that make my leaves turn back green
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

You are right that majesty palms like soil that is a bit acidic, but lime does the opposite. it makes the soil more alkaline, which is the opposite of acidic.

To acidify the soil, you can use sphagnum peat moss or aluminum sulfate (available in garden centers and nurseries). However, there are three common causes of palm leaves turning yellow. The biggest one is insufficient light. Over watering is next, followed by under watering. These palms really don't make good houseplants, and they seldom live longer than a year indoors. Once the leaves turn yellow, they will not turn green again. New green leaves may come in if all conditions are right. The palm should be near a bright south-facing window. It should be kept evenly moist, but never soggy.

So, unfortunately, there is no way to make the leaves turn green again. We can hope that you may be able to make adjustments to the conditions that will allow new green leaves to grow. If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you'll be successful with your palm.

Anna