General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Im handicapped (MS) but need to clean out every closet in this h

Customer Question
I'm handicapped (MS) but need...
I'm handicapped (MS) but need to clean out every closet in this house. I have 50 years of jamming things in them. Can you help? I am a 68 year old female. I can walk a few with a cane, but tire quickly ( 10-15 minutes) and recover in about 30 minutes.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: General
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/3/2012
Expert: Danielle-Mod,
 replied 5 years ago
Danielle-Mod

Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. It looks like your question was meant for a different company. We match people with questions to Professionals with answers in areas like Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Financial, Legal, Home Improvement and more. Oftentimes, the Professionals can help with a question like yours. Please let me know if you want to continue or cancel your question.

I came to this spote because it said "tips for spring cleaning" hoping for ideas.
Expert: Danielle-Mod,
 replied 5 years ago

Sometimes, finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly

Thank you, I haven't gotten them done in years. A little longer won'[t hurt;
Expert: SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS replied 5 years ago
SpecialistMichael
Hi there, my name isXXXXX have previously helped other customers in dealing with their de-cluttering and house cleaning situations.

The biggest thing for you, what will bring the largest amount of positive reinforcement, while keeping your energy and thermoregulation issues at bay is simply doing this over a long period of time and at a comfortable pace. This will not only keep you motivated to clean out that 50 year jam packed set of closets, but will keep your mind and body fresh so you are not at risk for hurting yourself or overheating.

This might have to be done something like 1 closet every couple of weeks, but its important that you do a little bit each day, maybe a small box worth of items, separated and filed, donated or discarded.

No matter which way you go about this, it is going to be a relative "marathon" not a short sprint. You will be sorting and deciding which items you keep and which you toss away. Its important to also keep a rest area nearby, so if you become

I would suggest maybe a friend or family member who does not share the same clutter issues to help you moderate what is REASONABLE to hang on to, and what is essential to hang on to(heirlooms, old vintage family history items, things of that nature). If you find yourself getting stuck, their job is to help you assign a category to the item to keep you moving along. This person should have a similar goal of helping you to declutter the areas you need to, while motivating you to continue to work on it.

The other benefit is that of the heavier items, the friend can assist you without putting you at risk for injury related to the load or even related to your fatigue. It's best to ID these items(if they are present and out of your strength range) that you bring someone in to assist you.

So for starters, its a great idea to create separate categories for the items in the room or closet. You should separate things into categories like: Donations(clothes, furniture things other people need and can use), Heirlooms and must-keeps, Garbage(literal garbage, old papers, receipts you have already used, old expired mail, magazines etc.), extra items that can be gifted or donated(trinkets, extra furniture or small items like clocks, lamps etc.)

I would outline 3-5 categories:
1. Donate - "someone will use this because I am not" - a broad category
2. Keep - my family photos, heirlooms, irreplaceable things or items of high value
3. Discard - Garbage, mail, papers, magazines(books would be donate).

Do this so you can keep yourself stuck to a "plan" and begin sorting through. Do not try to finish an entire room in an entire day, this may take some time over a few days per room. You should be able to immediately recognize(within a couple seconds) what an item is, what category it fits into and then to put it in that category. You shouldn't need more than a few seconds to decide. I tend to think in "Can someone get good use of it?" terms. Extra furniture, clothing you haven't worn in several months, home items like lamps, kitchen items. If you not using it, just donate it to someone who gets good use.

It is an awesome thing you are working to declutter your space so remind yourself how positive it is by scheduling these times or blocks of time to declutter or work on a room even it is only 10-15 minutes a day. Remember, keep it reasonable. Positively reinforce that "donation" category by itemizing them for tax purposes, then bringing them in each time you fill a bag or box, even better if you bring in the items each day - some places will even pick some things up for you. Letting it fall into a negative experience may hinder your motivation to continue so keep in mind your house will be much cleaner, your rooms will be less dusty, helping you feel tremendously better, and people in need of items will get great use of them(not to mention the tax benefits for you).

Once you have gotten down to the bare bones of the room, the furniture(and extra furniture) can be removed and you can do your routine cleaning, dust and debris removal.

It is excellent you have chosen to declutter your house remember a few things while doing this:
-It is going to be healthier for you and your allergies
-This is ultimately a positive change for you eliminating things you do not need and cleaning up your living space. Keep it positive by attacking the clutter in scheduled time blocks so you are not overwhelmed. Move from 1 segment of the room to another when finished and complete that smaller area of the room before moving on - this will keep you focused.
-Of the extra items there are many people who will get great use out of the things you no longer use.
- Your family heirlooms and historic things you find can then be reorganized and filed into safe, secure keeping that is easily accessable.

Please remember to press accept, it is the only way I receive any credit for assisting you with your question. If you would like further correspondence after, you can simply hit reply.

MikeLaughing
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS