General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

what would cause brown spotted leaves lemon trees

Customer Question
what would cause brown spotted...
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: General
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/26/2012
Expert: Martin, Engineer replied 5 years ago
Martin, Engineer
Hello. It would be interesting if you could upload me some photo, i could make a better diagnostic.

What is the recent of history of the tree? Was it indoor not long ago, did you fertilize it in recent week?
IT IS ONE I HAVE GROWN FROM A SEED .IT HAS BEEN INSIDE AT ALL TIMES SINCE I PLANTED IT I I DID JUST RE POTTED IT AND MOVED IT TO A NEW WINDOW IT LIKED IT AT FIRST BUT NOW SOME OF ITS LEAVE ARE TURNING BROWN AND GETTING DRY AND CRISP IT IS IN NORTH WINDOW AND TH ERE IS LOTS OF LIGHT I AM WONDERING A BOUT WATER COULD IT BE GETTING TO MUCH OR TO LITTLE
Expert: SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS replied 5 years ago
SpecialistMichael
Ideally most lemon trees(a pattern with citrus) is they like moist soil(down where the roots are) without it being nasty and soggy. Generally speaking, watering a couple times a week is a good idea, more if its very hot or dry but again soil should be slightly moist, not soggy. Overwatering will kill the tree very quickly. I would check the root bundle to make sure its appropriately watered without being soaked.

The leaves can show signs of deterioration if there is a bacterial infection, or something in the way of a parasite or pest - but since the only thing to have changed is the repotting(assuming quality soil, garden soil can sometimes cause issues) and the amount of light and location I would venture to say it is probably an issue of moisture especially if you repotted with the same soil mixture you used.

Ideally a locally nursery should check the nutrient content of the soil you used, if this proves to be a valid suspect as well as checking the pH if you are not comfortable doing this as well. Also there is a chance it might be something like melanose fungus, which would be recognized by your nursery if you are unfamiliar. This would have little brown spots but then also have a rough texture to it. If the leaves are curling, it could be something like aphids..but again since you have had it in a controlled environment I would be less apt to suspect this.
It might very well be too much water, or too much fertilizer in the new potting material (it can cause chemical burn).

It may also be the fungus Alternaria being present in the new soil, this can be treated with copper based fungicide.

It may also just be sun burn (in the house they don't have the wind to cool them down and it's a little more dry). Try to rotate it 2 or 3 time per day.
Since you didn't mention anything about a fertilizer at all you need to make sure you are rationing it per unit of actual soil. Over feeding soil can be detrimental and blind prescription of these based on the actual soil(not the general ideas that are provided here) are important for stable pH.

The probability of sunburn is going to happen regardless of indoor or outdoor unless you have UV protection on your windows. This would be similar to getting sunburned on a windy day..it would still happen. You need to be well aware of wind burn, which can also include a fair amount of drying - just remember these plants transpire through their leaves. Until you are at least a couple weeks once you are past the frost and freeze threshold on the year before you put these outside. There is a reason why citrus plants flourish in warmer weather(and the environment of the house). Lots of exposure could do this.

While fungicides would be an appropriate idea, you need to read and be well aware of the time of these as not to hinder or damage the plant. These are generally applied at different times based on the stage in which the plant is in or just recently passed. Those that work on or around the plant(some of them) are notorious for blocking transpiration(those of topically applied oils) and thus hindering development.

Since the plant was OK per your information. I would simply examine watering and the soil making sure its appropriate.

The last thing you need is to dump 10 remedies on the plant, then to find out something isn't working but having a 1 in 10 chance of "guessing". Work progressively and systematically.
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS