General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

i am a ninety year old woman who needs a program that will

Customer Question
help me keep motivated in...
i am a ninety year old woman who needs a program that will help me keep motivated in exercising XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: General
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/23/2012
Expert: Cher, Educator-40+ yrs replied 5 years ago
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Hello again, Mary and welcome back to Just Answer!

Do you still have the personal trainer coming to the house?

Are you exercising at all at this time?

Thanks for all your additional detail about your situation.

Regards,
Cher
Hi again, Mary.

Since you're already used to exercising, I realize you know the basics, but learning some things you may not be aware of will always be beneficial, so take a look at this site for some great tips:
http://www.eldergym.com/exercises-for-the-elderly.html

I'm sure you're aware to always check with your physician before starting any exercise program. Even though you're not 'starting' for the first time, if you've been away from it for a while, always best to err on the side of caution.

Other motivational exercise programs, in addition to John Glenn's book, may be found in Jane Fonda's new workout dvd's which you can modify to your own pace, and also, her newest book:
http://www.amazon.com/Jane-Fonda-Prime-Time-Strong/dp/B0042FDCMW

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/181-7732291-0538535?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=jane+fonda+new+book

Fitness Guru, Jack LaLanne's book "Live Young Forever", is also great for your purposes. You can purchase through Amazon online, or at any major bookstore:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1552100642?ie=UTF8&tag=s52-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1552100642

Please let me know if you have other questions or need additional information by clicking 'Reply' and typing 'For Cher'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you today (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click on 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

**You can request me in the future by typing 'For Cher' to begin your question**

Best regards,
Cher
Expert: Family Physician, Internet Researcher replied 5 years ago
Family Physician, Internet Researcher
I would add another suggestion to the excellent suggestions offered by Cher:

Ballroom dancing. There are a number of studies that have shown health benefits of this excellent exercise and social activity. Another option would be square dancing.

Here are a few articles:
The effect of ballroom dance on balance and functional autonomy among the isolated elderly.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22483371

Effects of dance on movement control in Parkinson's disease: a comparison of Argentine tango and American ballroom.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19479161

PLEASE ACCEPT THE OTHER EXPERT'S ANSWER - HER ANSWER WAS EXCELLENT.

Expert: SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS replied 5 years ago
SpecialistMichael
Hi Mary, I just received my email request from you for this question. My apologies for the delay as I was not by the computer. Would you like me to answer this question for you?

Happy to help, glad to hear back from you. Looking forward to working with you.Laughing

Regards,

hi Mike yes please please give me your opinion XXXXX XXXXX

Ok Mary - I will work on this now.

Please give me a bit of time, the connectivity in this area is getting spotty(connection drops in and out) but I will be back shortly with some considerations for you.

In the meantime, would you kindly summarize what the trainer familiarized you with - trainers are incredibly variable I always ask to see what can be "tuned" and what can be altered.

We did mostly chair exercises emphasicing balance, strenth,and mobility, some stationy biking amd walking Mary

for cheryes I read your reponse and am very happy with it.howerver I am trying to print it off the computer and cannot print any respnses from kust anwmer can yo help me or do I ask for Help

Hello again, Mary and thanks very much for your reply.

Please excuse the delay, as I was prevented from replying due to a glitch in the system; it finally allowed me access, now, so I can send your answer.

I'm so glad you were very happy with my response and I appreciate you letting me know that! Laughing It would be appreciated if you could click 'Accept' since you found my answer helpful. Thanks!

To print it, you can try the following: copy and paste it to your word processing program (like MS Word, if you have it) and print it from there; or copy and paste it into your email program, send it to yourself, then print it from there.

If you don't know how to copy and paste, right click on the answer with your mouse, click 'select all' and everything should 'highlight' in blue; right click again and choose 'copy', click that. Go to your word processing program or your email, open a new document or 'compose mail', put your cursor in the middle of the page and right click, then choose 'paste', and click. The text of the answer should appear in the box. Then click your print icon.

Please let me know if you need any further help with this by clicking 'Reply' and typing 'For Cher' to begin your reply.

Best regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Cher
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs