General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

I have a 4x6 rug, The information on the tag reads as follows

Customer Question
I have a 4'x6' rug...
I have a 4'x6' rug, The information on the tag reads as follows
SHYAM AHUJA
TYPE: HANDWOVEN WOOLLEN CHAINSTITCH RUG WITH BACKLINING OF COTTON
DESIGN: ABUSSAN
COLOUR: RED
SIZE: 4.0 x 6.0 FIBRE: 100% WOOL FACE
HAND MADE IN INDIA
It also carries one smaller tag that reads;
BERGDORF
GOODMAN
ON THE PLAZA
NEW YORK
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: General
4/22/2012
Expert: Cher, Educator-40+ yrs replied 5 years ago
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Hello Randy, and welcome back to Just Answer.

Can you please specify what information you are seeking about this rug?

Thanks,
Cher
I am trying to find out when it may have been made and by whom. As well as finding out what all the tag notations are for and why it has an additional tag from New York.
Expert: SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS replied 5 years ago
SpecialistMichael
Hi there my name is XXXXX XXXXX back to JustAnswer!

So the reason your rug has a tag with Bergdorf Goodman is because that is the store(http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/) it was made for and sold from. The designer of these rugs is actually designed by Shyam Ahuja, though hand manufactured for the Bergman store on 5th ave and 58th in New York City. These rugs actually retailed for 275 to almost 900 dollars!

The best thing to do if you are looking for the exact production date would be to call the Bergdorf store, and give them the RN number of the rug. They should be able to crossreference the stock and see if you can get an idea of when it was stocked.

The range is not terribly long, though from the sounds of it might be around 1985 or 1986.
The phone number for BergdorfGoodman is 1.800.558.1855 but you can also email or Live Chat on their webpage http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/store/catalog/templates/Entry.jhtml?itemId=cat140025&parentId=catstore&masterId=cat000000

The rug is a great find! Good luck!

Please remember to press accept if this has helped you, I am available after the acceptance as well if you would like to continue on with more correspondence about the rugs :)
If they retailed for that what would a consevative ballpark guess on a price in todays market if i were to put it out for auction, or should i do more indepth research on thec rug itself and its hostory , although its such a beautiful rug that it will most likely just be handed down in the family.
They are gorgeous for sure, I would say to at least hang on to it until you can actually bring it in to an actual dealer to have him/her look at it. This way you can get a solid idea of the price as it is based on condition and on the number manufactured.

I definitely recommend doing your own research so you can learn about the creator and the rug line itself which is still quite popular but to get a true real idea of its worth in todays market(bearing in mind its only worth what someone would pay), you should have it looked at by someone who deals in high quality rugs and textile and have it accurately appraised(in person) for its condition.
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS