Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I hope this is the right category ... the blue from a dress

I hope this is the right category ... the blue from a dress pair of denim jeans rubbed off onto a white leather purse. (I know, I was supposed to wash the jeans before wearing, and I didn't :(
Does anyone know how to remove the blue w/o scratching the handbag?
Thanks,
Holly
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi Holly, and welcome back to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you.

Did you use anything except the automobile leather cleaner on the purse, so far?

How long ago did the jeans stain the white purse blue?

Thanks for all your additional detail.
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Stain just happened today and no, I didn't try anything except the auto leather cleaner so far.
Thanks,
Holly
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, Holly and thanks for your reply with additional and helpful information.

I'm working on your answer now, so please allow me a short while to type and send it.

Thanks,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, Holly and thanks for your patience.

I'm glad the stain is fresh, as this will make it easier to remove.

Try the methods suggested here:

http://www.ehow.com/how_6345065_remove-jean-dye-white-leather.html

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-dye-transfer-from-leather/
('megs' APC is 'Meguiars all purpose cleaner'--it is an auto leather cleaner)

http://www.ehow.com/how_12036039_clean-blue-jean-stain-off-leather.html

Perhaps you didn't use the right type of auto leather cleaner. Meguiars is great, but may be hard to find. I'd try the petroleum jelly first, because it is a product that is easily found and will not do any damage to the purse. However, it IS important that after the stain is completely removed, you use a quality leather protector on your purse, so it cannot become stained again.

Yes, you should have washed your jeans before wearing, but I've heard stories where even 'old' jeans which were washed many times over, still stained a white leather purse. Hard to believe, but true.

I hope you are successful in restoring your white purse to white!

Please let me know if you need any additional information by clicking 'Reply'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you today (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click on 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, Holly.

I wanted to mention that you can find Meguiars products and retailers, here:
http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotive/products/ Scroll about halfway down the page to Gold Class Leather and Vinyl Cleaner and also look at the leather protectant products.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks so much for your help!
I just read the information so I'll give it a try.
Holly
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, Holly and you're most welcome!

It is my pleasure to be of help to you and your accept is greatly appreciated. I hope you are successful!

Please feel free to request me for any future questions by typing 'For Cher Only' to begin your question. Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will do- thanks, Cher. I believe you helped me once before and your answer then was great, too.

Holly
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
You're most welcome, Holly! That's very nice of you to remember and to let me know that I have also been helpful to you in the past! Laughing It meas a lot!

Best regards,
Cher