Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

How much alum is actually in dish washing liquid?

Category: General
Expert:  A. Schuyler replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. If there is any alum at all in your dishwashing liquid, it will be listed as an ingredient on the label. As for how much, you would need to contact the manufacturer of the brand you are using and ask. However, exact compositions are usually proprietary information and they may not be forthcoming with an answer.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Her answer amounted to "I don't know, go to the source, even though that won't help". Dish washing liquid is common. Like bread. Milk. Soap. Some knows the answer. I want that person to answer my question. "I don't know, ask someone else" is not an answer.
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

I just wanted to verify that you are referring to dishwashing liquid that you use to wash dishes by hand, and not 'dishwasher' liquid detergent.

Thanks for your clarification.
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

I have researched the listed ingredients of many major brands of dishwashing liquids sold in the U.S. and none contain alum. If there is a particular reason you believe that alum is an ingredient in dishwashing liquid, or you know of a specific brand that contains it, but want to know the actual amount, please let me know and I will be glad to research this further for you. For the moment, I have found the following, which lists the ingredients and their purposes, used in general, in dishwashing liquids:
http://www.ehow.com/list_6298624_dishwashing-detergent-ingredients.html

Please let me know if you need any additional information by clicking 'Reply'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you today (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click on 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I asked a chemist why my mixture of borax, washing soda, melted soap, and a little dish liquid would "jell" up. When I don't add the dish washing liquid (by hand kind), it just gets lumpy and you have to mix it (I use it for washing clothes, a lot of people do). He told me that it is because of the alum and the alum mixed with the borax will jell up and make a stable mixture. Now that your telling me there is no alum in the dish liquid, I'm even more confused :) But glad to get an answer. The last expert told me they didn't know and that I should call manufactures to find out.
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks very much for your accept and your reply. They are greatly appreciated!

I've located these 'recipes' for homemade laundry detergent, dishwashing liquid and other cleaning products we use around the house, which can save money and also allow us to use only natural ingredients (going green!). http://uninvitedwriter.hubpages.com/hub/How-to-go-green-laundry-detergent-and-dish-soap

As you can see, dishwashing liquid is not included among the ingredients for the laundry detergent and it gives the order in which to mix the ingredients, so perhaps try it that way and see if you have more success.

Best wishes,
Cher