P. Simmons, Attorney
Experience:  45 years old, retired Marine Officer, current attorney
11181181
Type Your Question Here...

Will I received my ex-husbands military insurance beneficiary?

Will I received my ex-husband's military insurance beneficiary? I have received a letter from Prudential stating that Frazier C. Spann II has me as the primary beneficiary of his military insurance
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Were you the beneficiary of the policy? Was prudential the company that sold the policy?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sir:

Yes, yes Prudential was the company that sold the insurance to Frazier as a retired military personal. As stated in the letter that I received from Prudential which stated on Oct 7, 2011 and send to me. The letter states " Dear XXXXX II, Please accept this letter as confirmation that we processed your bendfiiary designation request onm your Veterans Group Life Insurance (VGLI) coverage. Your current beneficiary(ies) are as followings:

Primary - Joyce L. Spann -100%

Secondary - Allen Hendrix - 100 . Please call the Contact Center at XXX-XXX-XXXX between 8 a.m. and 5 am with any questions You can also acess your information online at www.insurance .va.gov The representive was Susan Bennet, Customer Service Representive

Interesting...this must have happened long ago...Prudential no longer sell this policy. But I have seen them for WWII vets.

You will need to contact them and provide a death certificate. THey can then pay the policy.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sir, the policy as dated Oct. 7. 2011. They have his death certificate.
The VA no longer uses this service. SO if they are claiming this is a new policy? It is not a VA policy.

That said, if it is a policy he paid for, the beneficiary can claim the benefit. Just not through the VA. They would have to go to the company directly.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sir, Frazier retired 1989. from the Marines I was taken off of his military insuance in 1999 during the divorce. He passed Oct 29, 2011 from cancer. . But before he passed he placed me back on his military insurance again. I didn't know this until I received the insurance letter dated Oct 7, 2011. Again I asked the question, Do I get the insurance as stated by the letter I received?

Joyce

OK...I think there is some confusion here. There is no "military insurance" sponsored by prudential.

The only insurance currently offered by the military is called SBP (survivor benefit program). If this is SBP insurance, it requires a court order to keep in place after divorce.

If this is private insurance offered by a private company, then it is up to that company to decide how to pay the benefits...you would need to contact that company to determine how to collect
t