General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

I am buying a used boat, motor and trailer. The owner has lost

Customer Question
the titles. Can we go...
I am buying a used boat, motor and trailer. The owner has lost the titles. Can we go to a local Parks and Wildlife office with the owner and file for lost titles and transfer to my name at the same time? Owner has Parks and Wildlife card in the boat in his name. Do we have to wait until owner gets new titles and then transfer to me? Thanks for your assistance. Thomas Sellers [email protected] XXX-XXX-XXXX Dayton, Tx
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: General
4/1/2012
Expert: SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS replied 5 years ago
SpecialistMichael
Hi Thomas what state is this for?

Texas

Thank you Thomas, Texas Parks and Wildlife require that the seller must have the title(MSO if new) or the out of state reg/title if its out of state. You will also need the bill of sale from the Seller.

To ensure a clean transaction, I would make sure the seller has the actual title as well as all the other documentation. The standard title turnaround is 21 days but a quick titles print 1 day after processing and are shipped.

If you do not accompany the seller you will need to complete the form here

Also as the purchaser if out of state sale you must complete the following:
Form for verification of vessel or outboard

Finally, these forms are for lost or destroyed vessel title.

And then lost or destroyed outboard title and if needed can submit those at the locations here

But I would definitely recommend waiting for the title to come in, do the standard bill of sale and transfer to avoid serious potential headaches. It won't be the quickest of transactions, but will be the right way to do it to avoid any confusion or delays or mistakes.
If the owner and I go to the TP&WD together and he applies for lost titles is it possible to have the new title put in my name then or must we wait until he gets the new/recovered titles to transfer to me?
If technically he is still the owner of the boat then the title would be transfered, and thats why you need that bill of sale. Wait until the titles arrive to him, then he can transfer.

Just for comparison purposes with things like abandoned boats in FL they always look for the owner of the boat thoroughly because if the boat is titled to that owner they would just be giving it away.

Plus the title gives them a trail to follow so they know that the new owner didn't steal the boat.
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS