How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SpecialistMichael Your Own Question
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 508
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...
SpecialistMichael is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am buying a used boat, motor and trailer. The owner has lost

Resolved Question:

I am buying a used boat, motor and trailer. The owner has lost the titles. Can we go to a local Parks and Wildlife office with the owner and file for lost titles and transfer to my name at the same time? Owner has Parks and Wildlife card in the boat in his name. Do we have to wait until owner gets new titles and then transfer to me? Thanks for your assistance. Thomas Sellers [email protected] XXX-XXX-XXXX Dayton, Tx
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 5 years ago.
Hi Thomas what state is this for?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.


Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Thomas, Texas Parks and Wildlife require that the seller must have the title(MSO if new) or the out of state reg/title if its out of state. You will also need the bill of sale from the Seller.

To ensure a clean transaction, I would make sure the seller has the actual title as well as all the other documentation. The standard title turnaround is 21 days but a quick titles print 1 day after processing and are shipped.

If you do not accompany the seller you will need to complete the form here

Also as the purchaser if out of state sale you must complete the following:
Form for verification of vessel or outboard

Finally, these forms are for lost or destroyed vessel title.

And then lost or destroyed outboard title and if needed can submit those at the locations here

But I would definitely recommend waiting for the title to come in, do the standard bill of sale and transfer to avoid serious potential headaches. It won't be the quickest of transactions, but will be the right way to do it to avoid any confusion or delays or mistakes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If the owner and I go to the TP&WD together and he applies for lost titles is it possible to have the new title put in my name then or must we wait until he gets the new/recovered titles to transfer to me?
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 5 years ago.
If technically he is still the owner of the boat then the title would be transfered, and thats why you need that bill of sale. Wait until the titles arrive to him, then he can transfer.

Just for comparison purposes with things like abandoned boats in FL they always look for the owner of the boat thoroughly because if the boat is titled to that owner they would just be giving it away.

Plus the title gives them a trail to follow so they know that the new owner didn't steal the boat.
SpecialistMichael and 22 other General Specialists are ready to help you

Related General Questions