General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

I want to transfer to usf as a lower level transfer http://usfweb2.usf.edu/Admissions/tran

Customer Question
sfers/lower-level.aspx from my community college...
I want to transfer to usf as a lower level transfer http://usfweb2.usf.edu/Admissions/tran sfers/lower-level.aspx from my community college and I wanted to know if anyone know anything about this process that I need to know. The main reason I want to try it since I'm in orlando and I want to move to tampa and try something new and so I can take the math classes there for my major so I don't have to stay at the community college any longer then I have to
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: General
3/22/2012
Expert: Cher, Educator-40+ yrs replied 5 years ago
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

I'd love to help, but I just have a few questions so I understand your situation more clearly:

What are you up to in your Community College education? How many months or years have you completed so far?

How many credits do you have from your Community College?

Do you want to major in math or a math-related field at USF? If so, what will be your major?

What is your current GPA?

Thanks for all your additional details about your present situation.

Regards,
Cher
completed 1 senester.
have 12 credits.
computer science major
3.75
Hello again, and thanks for your reply with additional and helpful information.

Wow! I'm impressed with your 3.75 GPA! You're doing very well! Laughing

As it is stated on USF's website regarding lower level transfers, you need at least 30 transferable credits and at least a 3.0 GPA to make the transfer. My first recommendation to you would be to contact the Undergraduate Admissions office and find out if the credits you've taken so far, are tranferable and will be accepted by USF. Also, ask if they will be applicable to your major (or if they were 'core' courses, that's fine--they might be applicable to the core requirements there, as well).

You're fine with the GPA requirement (for now), but you would need at least 18 more credits before you would be eligible for a lower level transfer. If you don't want to remain at the Community College you're at, right now, you would have the option of applying to USF as a Freshman, not a 'transfer', but ask if the 12 credits you've already taken could be transferable. Not all credits are transferable, that's why you need to find out before moving forward, if the credits you've already earned for the courses taken, will be accepted or not, by USF.

If you're willing to stay at the Community College until you earn the additional 18 credits, and keep your GPA up to no lower than 3.0, then you will be able to apply for the lower level transfer, but again, you will want the most credits possible, transferable, so make a list of the courses you are planning to take for those 18 credits at the C.C. and ask USF if they will be accepted. If not all of them will be accepted upon transfer, perhaps you can take other courses that you know for sure will be accepted.

Get in touch with an Admissions counselor soon, and try to get information about your credits/courses that you will need, which will be transferable. Here is the contact information:

University of South Florida
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
4202 East Fowler Avenue, SVC 1036
Tampa, FL 33620

Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
Fax:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
I wish you much good luck in your educational endeavors.

Please let me know if you need any additional information by clicking 'Reply'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you today (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click on 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
How can I apply at usf as a freshman with transferred credits if I my high school and sat I didn't do so well :-(
Hi again and thanks for your reply.

If you didn't finish high school with a great average and also didn't score that high on the SAT's, I think your decision to begin at Community College was a good one. So far your GPA is great for your first semester, and if you continue to do so well for your next 18 or more credits, you will be able to apply to USF as a low level transfer. However, it is very important, as I mentioned previously, that you find out what credits/courses from the Community College will be transferable/acceptable when you apply to USF, as you will want all or almost all to be transferable.

Best regards,
Cher
I'm going to call the office at 9 am to figure exactly what class I should be taking so I won't take useless classes :)
Hi again, and thanks very much for your accept and your reply.

That's a very smart move! : ) Then, once you're ready to transfer, you'll be all set!

I wish you the best of luck!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs