General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Do you know how much a heavy silver 1910 Mexican coin called:Centenario

Customer Question
Do you know how...
Do you know how much a heavy silver 1910 Mexican coin called:Centenario De La Independencia Mexicana is worth today?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: General
3/13/2012
Expert: yegarboy,
 replied 5 years ago
yegarboy

Yegarboy :

Welcome To Just Answer!

Yegarboy :

Here is all the info for your coin LINK. If this helps please click Accept :)

Yegarboy :

They are worth about $1.50 each

Yegarboy :

This is a unique situation. I found a Mexican coin specialist you should get a hold of.

Customer:

Sorry, I couldn't for the life of me figure where I was supposed to respond. You have not got the right coin at all. This is a heavily carved coin and the back of the coin says "16 De SEPTEMBRE 1810"

Yegarboy :

Still here?

Customer:

sO YOU HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT THIS PARTICULAR COIN?

Customer:

yES.

Yegarboy :

Not personally no. Visit the links I provided for more details. And i would contact the Mexican coin specialist too.

Customer:

So, is that information to me considered your answer and for me to be paying the $38.00, even when you did not actually answer my question?

Yegarboy :

You would only be charged if you click Accept. If your not happy with my service I will opt out and refer you to another expert.

Customer:

You can e-mail me when another tech is ready to tackle this question. Referring me to a web-site is not what I paid $38.00 for. Marie Faszholz [email protected]

Expert: Michael Hannigan, Consultant replied 5 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant
Hello. My name is Michael.

Do you hae a picture of the coin that you could attach here?
No I don't at the moment.
What is on the front of the coin? Just in general (ie. a face, etc)

Is the edge smooth all around?
I also meant to ask if it has a denomination on it.

I am awaiting your response, so please let me know at your earliest convenience.
Did you get my three responses?
No. The questions that remain unanswered are:
Does it have a denomination on it?
What is on the front?
Is it smooth all the way around?

Any other detail you can provide would help.
I sent you a very detailed e-mail about the coin and what was on it at 6:20. Then I answered your other two questions on the denomination- no there is not one, and two it is smoothe and round-2" in diameter. What happened to my replies? Then I sent another one asking you if you got the other three. No response. Now I see that yo have taken my $38.00. Now, I don't know what is going on here, but I'd like an explanation.
We do not get replies through email. If you want to reply, you have to do it on the question page, which must be what you are doing right now. If you sent an email at 6:20, that was an hour and a half before asking the question.

http://www.justanswer.com/general/6dlu8-know-heavy-silver-1910-mexican-coin-called-centenario.html

What is it that you would like an explanation to? Let me know and I wil do my best to explain it. I can explain what I know, which is that you came here wanting to identify a coin. You don't have a picture of it, so I am asking you for information that I need to possibly identify it. I think you understand that without a picture and without a description, it would be impossilbe for me to provide any information of value.

You have put a deposit on the question, but I have not been paid a penny. That only happens when you accept. So if we can focus on identifying the object rather than who sent what, how it was sent, and whether we've asked each other if we received it, we'll make some progress. I will need a little time to identify this based on the description.

If you still have the email you sent in your sent items, please copy that information and paste it here. I have no way to see something you wrote in an email.

What is on the front of the coin and what is on the back? There must be some description you can provide about the coin other than size, weight, and texture.
OK, let's get one thing out of the way. Nothing happens when I try to click on the accept button on all of your above responses. I click on the line-nothing. I click on the accept button- nothing. Am I doing something wrong? I want you to get paid. I sent all responses to you thru this venue we are presently on. So, I will try again. I don't know what else you want me to do. If you can't get an answer, then I'll split the difference with you on the $38.00. This coin is round with smooth edges, 2" in diameter. The rest of the entire coin is done in heavily carved, raised silver figures. This is a 100 year Centenial coin dated 1910, celebrating their Independance in 1810. The front of the coin says CENTENARIODE DE INDEPENDENCIA MEXICANA. Like I said before there is no denomination on this coin. On the front of this coin there are a man and a woman sitting, resembling a king and a queen with the queen to the right of the coin. Sitting beside the King, to the left, is a maiden seated on the ground with a tablet, which she is holding up. Above this trio, ia an angel on the top left of the coin and a huge tree to the top right of the coin. It also appears to be an individual in the tree that the angel looks to be figting. The back of the coin says "16 DE SEPTIEMBRE DE 1810" The figures on the back of the coin are mostly soldiers to the right and left with on man in particular in the middle who is larger than the other men. In the top right hand corner are two massive bell towers or what they may have lived in.
Expert: Cher, Educator-40+ yrs replied 5 years ago
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Hello Marie, and thanks for your question.

The reason I believe you have not been able to find information about this coin is because it is not a 'coin' at all, with a denomination, as in 'for legal tender'; it is a medal or medallion which was made in 1910 to commemorate the centennial of Mexico's independence won in 1810.

I'm very familiar with what this medal looks like and you can see a picture of the both the front and the back of it, to compare to yours, here (I believe it is your exact one):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SILVER-INDEPENDENCE-MEXICO-MEDALLION-1910-/300613881053

As you can see, this UK ebay auction from Oct. 2011 had a starting bid of 475 British Pounds. This amount converts to $743.43. It's actual value would depend on it's condition and the actual weight of the silver. It's always best to have an experienced appraiser familiar with this type of medal, examine it in person and then give you the most accurate value. The figure above is just a reference point for you. You may also have success in bringing it into a local jeweler who specializes in silver coins/medallions.

If you have any additional questions, please click 'Reply'.

I hope my answer has been helpful. If so, please click 'Accept' or the 'smiley face' icon, if that's what appears on your page, then click the green 'submit' button.

Best regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Cher seems to have told you exactly what I was about to tell you. The reason I had asked you if it had a denomintation is that based on your description to that point, it matched the description of this medal, and not a coin.

If you would like an approximate grade on the medallion at some point and do have the opportunity to take some detailed pictures, I would be happy to provide that for you. Here is some additional information I had for you that might be of interest. It is part of my original answer that I was about to post.

MEXICO. Independence Proclamation Centennial Medal, 1910. .925 Silver, 90.02mm, 241.4 grams. By Tiffany, New York. Grove 382a. Victorious Liberty with torch and sword stands before mountain peaks, ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS. Rev. Oak and laurel enclose 8-line Independence Proclamation inscription. The revolution against Spanish rule began Sept. 16, 1810 with Father Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla's Grito de Dolores, the Cry of Dolores. Though defeated in 1811 and shot by the Spaniards, Hidalgo is revered as the Father of Mexican Independence. Edge STERLING, this large and handsome medal was struck by the great New York firm of Tiffany and Company. Matte surfaces show subtle gold toning, a vertical band of deeper toning at reverse center. Choice About Uncirculated. (600-750) - It realized 978.75 at auction.
Cher
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs