General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

I have a wef 1090 front loader that has a lose drive pully…

Customer Question
I have a wef 1090...
I have a wef 1090 front loader that has a lose drive pully wheel that connects on the rear of the washing drum,this causes a loud clunking noise while spinning and recently has caused the belt to slip off.Is this problem repairable,and if so how do i get access to do it? thanking you for your assistance.Paul
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: General
3/10/2012
Expert: MNMALE47, Consultant replied 6 years ago
MNMALE47
MNMALE47, Consultant

MNMALE47 :

Hi Paul, I see you are having some trouble. Is this a silver magic washing machine or what brand is it. Also I am seeing wef and efw models? Please verify brand and model number and I will see what we can find. In working with Sears I know most front load washers I sold, you had to remove the front of them, pull the drum and then work on them. It was quite time consuming . But, if you verify what you have I will take a look for you. Brad ~~

I believe you have a Electrolux ewf 1090? Brad ~~
hi Brad the m/c is an eletrolux ewf 1090 8kg model ,do you think it is worth the trouble to repair,and if so how is the belt pully wheel held on to the barrel?
Hmmmmmmm I am just finishing up with one of these in Australia with the switch out. I will get back to you ASAP. Brad ~~
I guess that would be up to you based on the year of the washer.I believe you are going to have to tackle this from the back. There should be 2 screws holding your top on. The top will then either slide forward or back to slide off. Once you have that off you will have to remove the actual tub itself, I believe on that model it should just be setting in there. You should then be able to visually see where the pulley should be. There is a chance something just came apart and can be reassembled, so then you would only have your time invested. You have to make the decision, I guess it would be worth my time just to see, but then I tear things apart for a living, lol. Brad ~~
Hi Brad I have the top off no problem there but the back seems to wrap around the sides and i can't see how it comes off.the m/c is aprox.5-6years old.the pully is still attached but seems very wobbly or loose.because i can,t get the back 0ff i can,t see anything. regards paul.
I do not believe it does, everything has to come out your top if you do not see any banding an screws in the internal casing. Lift gently on the tub, it is probably just loose and balanced in there.
Brad ~~
I am trying to find info for us. I believe that pulley where you can see it is on a type of tightner.
Hi Paul,
Here is what I need you to do. Rather then explain to you what will be easier for you to see for yourself. Go to http://searspartsdirect.com. In the search search Electrolux
EWF 1090 then to the right select model search. You will have a whole list of electrolux parts. I believe it was in the right column. You want to select washer parts. Then select like the EWF 70 and it will take you to the break downs. There select the cabinet pic and you can blow that up to see it. You can also blow up the tub etc. Once you select it slide up towards the + arrow, then simply put your mouse over the pic and you can move it around to see whatever you want. I am still here just message me if you need me. If you are anything like me I want to see what someone else is seeing. It appears to me on thaty one you can take the back off. Select the cabinet and top and then blow that up and you will see what I am seeing. Holler with any questions and we will try to figure it out !!!!!!! Brad ~~
It appears to me if you take that rail off that is going across the back of the machine on top, your screws that are holding the back on will be hiding under there !!! I will let you work now, message me if you need me. Brad ~~
MNMALE47
MNMALE47, Consultant
Hi Brad . success! i have fixed the problem.there is a design flaw and or a manufacturing problem with the method of holding the pully wheel to the drum!i found that the 8 mm c'sunk screw which holds it on bottoms out on the thread tapped in the drum.i got around this by putting a star washer under the head of the screw and some locktite on the thread so it shoulden't come loose again.also the back came of as you said once i found the two skrews hidden under plastic caps on the sides of the m/c.at the bottom.Thank you for all your advice which gave me confidence to attempt the strip down.Its so nice to have peace and quiet while the washing m/c is running! Thanks again ,regards Paul. p s i also like pulling things apart but i don't like hidden suprises.
Way to go Paul, you saved a ton of money there!!! Whoop whoop. I am happy to have assisted you and wish you many more years of quiet washing !!! Brad ~~
MNMALE47
MNMALE47
MNMALE47, Consultant