General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

I own a Viking Sapphire 850 sewing machine. I has jammed. The…

Customer Question
I own a Viking Sapphire...
I own a Viking Sapphire 850 sewing machine. I has jammed. The needle will not go up and down. When I turn on the machine is shows "Main Motor overload. Can you help?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: General
3/9/2012
Expert: MNMALE47, Consultant replied 6 years ago
MNMALE47
MNMALE47, Consultant

MNMALE47 :

Hi there, I see you are having a problem with your viking. I believe the message has come on due to the jam. You will need to remove your needle plate, bobbin and bobbin case and remove any lint, debris, or threads that you see present. Try to turn the machine over by hand now and it should be moving for you. Place a drop of oil in the center of your hook ( metal piece where your bobbin case and bobbin set into) Re assemble this area and make sure you are still moving freely. Your jam quite possibly was created from your thread coming out of your take up lever or your top tension. Raise your presser foot, this will allow your top tension discs to be open. Pull your thread out of everything up top, and then re thread the machine assuring you are getting into all of your guides. Once through all your guides, and top tension and before you thread your needle, lower your presser foot slowly and you should feel the top tension grab on to it. If you do feel that you are threaded correctly and can now go through the needle. If you do not feel that you must start over with your threading. This should take care of your problem, but if not, simply request me and we will go from there. Brad ~~

Customer:

Hello again,

Customer:

I have cleaned the machine as you recommended and followed your instructions, unfortunately it's still the same. Not moving.

Expert: Zeke, Internet Researcher replied 6 years ago
Zeke
Zeke, Internet Researcher
Hi

Are you able to move the handwheel at all...is it stiff or seized ??

If you are certain there is nothing under the needleplate or bobbin case, then there is a very good chance that there is thread wrapped around the top shaft where the takeup lever mechanism is.

(Very outside chance, is thread wrapped around motor pulley, on bottom right side, if you were bobbin winding when it happened)

Can you remove the top and left side covers easily ??

It is a real pain to remove ....DO NOT CUT !!

Needs tedious unwrapping so as to ensure all is removed, sometimes a degree of dismantling is necessary

What can you see ??

Regards

Martyn
Was this a real loud jam? What were you sewing when it happened? Brad ~~
I can move the hand wheel a bit less than a quarter turn. It stops and doesn't want to go all the way around. I looked as best I could and didn't see any obvious threads or anything hanging up in there. To get the cover off, I would have to undo some screws and open up the plastic body of the machine.
If you lift the handle on that do you see 2 screws, probably hex head? That would remove the cover. Then to the left, by your left side door there should be a screw.....
Unfortunately we need to get behind that left panel to see what is going on. If you are not comfortable doing this I can try and find a Viking dealer close to you... Brad ~~
If your top cover lifts up they would be under there, I am sorry I think I said handle, been a long day.
I will check; this will take a few minutes.
Okay I will be here
Brad ~~
There are two screws under the handle, in the space where the handle folds down. The back of the machine housing (the plastic body) is one piece, so it looks to me like you would have to remove the other 6 screws that are located there, also.
Yes and then the back should slide off.
I will check to see if we have the tools, since they are not phillips or slot screws. This may take a while. How do I get back to you?
Yes they are hex Swedish ya know, lol...... You should be able to get back to me the same way you are. I get an email when you message me. Brad ~~
As you are looking at the machine, and have removed the top cover, visually inspect on the left side for a hex screw that is holding that left panel on before you remove the entire back. This would be located inside . About an inch or so down if present...
These are Star screws and you will need to purchase a set from a good hardware store as tips for a cordless drill or similar....there are quite a few variations on the "security screw" market and are also useful for opening a range of appliances manufacturers would rather you left alone (!!)

The wrapped thread is not something I would be entirely comfortable recommending you attempt yourself, and if opening the machine seems too difficult, calling in the cavalry may be a prudent time and cost saving option.
Back of machine is off. Got a lot of lint out. Do not see any evidence of threads wrapped around anything. When you turn on the machine, it makes a stuttering kind of sound, like something is trying to run. When you try the hand crank, it reaches a hard stop, as if something won't turn over. It might be getting late. If so, I'll try to find you tomorrow. If this is a job for an in-person service, I know where one is.
Well you are well on your way. Now with the machine turned with the back to you so you can see everything that will move, move your hand wheel back and forth the little bit that you can and place a drop of oil on any of the parts you see moving in collars and also the shaft at the base where it is coming out. You may have had a shaft go dry on you inside a collar or the actual Main shaft itself. If you look at the studs that are going into the collars alot of them will have little holes in them to get your oil onto the actual shaft. DO NOT over oil your sewing machine, a little bit goes a long way. Also make sure you are using your synthetic sewing machine oil that came with it, or purchase some. Do not use, wd-40, 3 in 1 oil, or any other lubricant. They will shillac on you and you will be back to square one. A main place that your machine will tighten on you is if you look where your take up lever is inside and connected. Make sure you oil those collars, and also if you look towards the inside of the machine, to the left if you are looking at the back, you will see the actual top shaft coming through. Get oil back behind that on the shaft against the casing. You will want to try and move it now. If it isn't moving let it soak a little. You also can try to turn the machine backwards by hand to see if it will break free. There will be no problems if you oil this good and let it just set over night. We can then see where we are in the morning. Good luck, you are doing a great job. Contact me with any questions. Brad ~~
MNMALE47
MNMALE47, Consultant