General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

My 16year son plays a lot of sports... LaCrosse has just started…

Customer Question
My 16year son plays a...
My 16year son plays a lot of sports... LaCrosse has just started he complains about his feet constantly can bearly practice or walk he has grown this last year about 7 1/2 inches, he has had some delayed growth and received help with some testosterone
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: General
3/8/2012
Expert: DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor replied 6 years ago
DocPhilMD
DocPhilMD, Medical Doctor
This is known as sever's disease.

It is the most common cause of this type of pain in young athletes.

Treatment options are

Elevating the heel Stretching hamstring and calf muscles 2–3 times daily

Using R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compression,Elevation)

Foot orthotics

Medication

Physical Therapy
Are these like "Growing Pains?" Is is going through a growth spurt?
Are these like "Growing Pains?" Is he going through a growth spurt?
Kind of. It's from repetitive trauma of the growth plate of the heel.
Expert: footfacts,
 replied 6 years ago
footfacts
please give some more details as to what part of the foot is painful...This is not SEVER's disease..that usually is found in children between 8 and 13 years old..your son is not in that group.This could be exactly what you are thinking..growing pains....the tendons have not caught up with the growth of the bones.try both ice to the area or if that does not work try moist heat to the area.please just give more details so that you can get a better answer
The arch and the outside under his ankle all the way to his toes
Expert: footfacts,
 replied 6 years ago
this sounds like a overuse of a muscle on the outside of the foot one of the peroneal group.Check to make sure that the heels of his shoes are not worn at an angle that may cause a strain of this side of the foot. He may need a support.Start with one called a runner's wedge that can be found in most drug stores in the foot section.Use warm compresses to the area 2 times a day for 15 min..A small amount of Motrin can help.If not better in a few days ..see a podiatrist for an exam to fine tune the diagnosis.
footfacts