General

Ask Experts & get answers to your questions - ASAP

I am a SA citizen that worked abroad. I was conversant with…

Customer Question
I am a SA citizen...
I am a SA citizen that worked abroad.

I was conversant with the requirements of spending 183 days out of the country in a 12 month period and the fact that at least 60 days thereof must be continuous.

I subsequently lost my passport upon my return to SA, I now need to proof to SARS that I adhered to the requirements for earning foreign income and therfore qualify to be tax exempted.

How do I proof this if I do not have the border stamps to show?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: General
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2012
Expert: Melini-Moodley,
 replied 6 years ago
Melini-Moodley
Hi there,

In terms of an Old Interpretation note (Note 16) dated 27 March 2003, there are many forms of proof that you may use to prove that you were outside the RSA for > 183 days in aggregate during any 12 month period, 60 of these days being continuous.

Since you have lost your stamped passport, you could get a letter from your employer for whom you worked while outside the RSA confirming that you had been outside the RSA for those periods of time or if you were seconded, a secondment letter; they could in fact confirm the actual dates you were in their employ outside RSA. You could get a sworn affidavit to this effect. You could show your tax certificates for the income you had earned while away. A copy of your employment contract under which you worked while outside RSA may prove the dates you were away.

Please note that this exemption is only for taxpayers under contracts of employment i.e. earning "remuneration" while outside RSA and does not apply to independent contractors or the self-employed. It will still apply if you were working for a South African based employer who had required you to perform work outside the RSA. The specifics of this exemption have not been detailed as you have indicated that you are well aware of the conditions of this exemption, therefore I have only addressed the issue of how to prove the days you were outside RSA.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Thanks for your question and hope I have helped you.
I eventually contacted the department of home affairs and requested my traveller's records. This was send to me yesterday.
Expert: Melini-Moodley,
 replied 6 years ago
Great news! Glad you came right...