How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SpecialistMichael Your Own Question
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 508
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...
SpecialistMichael is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

a school for photography degree where I could use my FAFSA?

Resolved Question:

a school for photography degree where I could use my FAFSA? (preferably online). is there such thing? LA county area.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 5 years ago.
One of the best things you can do is try to find a degree in a combination style program, perhaps something involved with media or fine art and digital design. These programs are available at a myriad of schools (and many in LA county) however the name itself might not be "Photography" per se it will still allow you to concentrate on photographic arts. The added benefit to a program like an arts degree or a pseudo combination degree is the fact that many schools add in marketing and advertising classes as well as allowing you to add in business or finance classes to enable you to market yourself so you can put your love or interest in photography to solid use.

Best of all, many of these schools allow you to use your FAFSA financial aid but also customize your degree to whatever you want(as long as you stay within program boundaries) so you can learn what you want and what will be beneficial to you. The Art Institute of California may be an option but their financial aid is "for those that qualify" which might mean private lenders.

To get the best idea, considering photography in many schools is not an explicit degree name, would be to find those in the county that actually have a significant depth of photography classes so you can add in a completely different degree. Furthermore, you might actually get a good idea by attending local college hosted photography classes, depending on which school you enrole in. Most colleges require about a year of liberal arts(usually english, psychology, math, writing etc..) that are a part of all academia, but will allow you to possible save money and see if photography at that school is right for you. You may even be able to audit and sit in the classes(Presuming they have them) to see if you really truly enjoy them.
SpecialistMichael and 22 other General Specialists are ready to help you