How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask hrguru206 Your Own Question
hrguru206, Consultant
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 954
Experience:  Human Resources Professional, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from the University of Central Florida
Type Your Question Here...
hrguru206 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother passed away in 2010. I thus inherited her IRA.

Resolved Question:

My mother passed away in 2010. I thus inherited her IRA. I was told by the bank that I could close the IRA. However, I how have a 1099-R that lists the former balance of the IRA as taxable income. Is this not covered by inheritance tax law? I thought that it would be and that under the fairly large exemption of inheritance tax, I would not have to pay any tax. Am I missing something?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  hrguru206 replied 5 years ago.

hrguru206 :

Unfortunately it is my understanding that an IRA can be a double tax hit. As a general rule the value of the account is included in the persons taxable estate for estate taxes and payments from the IRA to the beneficiaries are also subject to income taxes. If you have had both of these occur in the same year, I would strongly advise that you have a professional take a look at your tax return to maximize any losses that may be claimed.


Was the tax assessable when I put my mother's IRA in my name, or was the tax assessed when I withdrew money?

hrguru206 and 51 other General Specialists are ready to help you