How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SpecialistMichael Your Own Question
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 508
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
Type Your Question Here...
SpecialistMichael is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Who owns the fishing boat, registration #907269

Resolved Question:

Who owns the fishing boat, registration #907269
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 5 years ago.
There are a few ways to find the owner of a boat using its HIN(hull identification number), the marine equivalent to a car or truck's VIN. You should be able to cross reference the registration your local DMV to find the HIN.

There are a few ways you can find the owner of a boat that is presumably abandoned.

The most common, relatively easy ways to find this are as follows:

1. Take the HIN and contact your local sheriffs office to file a lost property report. They will do their best to contact the owner of a "lost" boat which may or may not have abandoned. In states like Florida where abandoned boats are somewhat common this may take a little bit - in any case you may end up with a boat that is in fact abandoned and able for retitledment. They may or may not be able to give you information to be carried into the next step to contact the boat owner if it was lost or stolen.

2. (taking any information from step 1) Contacting a local DMV or Fish and Game department(assuming it may have been a fishing vessel) are 2 other similar options.

Boat ownership is considered public record so requesting information is possible but beware you may be charged a fee, similar to other information requests from a DMV. It it is an issue of being retitled in your name or claiming an abandoned boat the DMV will inform of the steps you must take if you want the boat, generally a 30-90 day process involving communication with the most recent owner.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is a Massachusetts lobster boat. Registration #907269. It was my ex son-in-law's, he was killed in a car accident in December. I am trying to find out if he owned the boat or was it in his parents name?
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 5 years ago.
Your best case in this situation would be to approach the family if possible to find out.

Other than that, on the presumption the boat is potentially abandoned you need to contact your local DMV with the HIN or reg number to find out ownership. It is considered public record but in the case of abandonment(common in Florida) the DMV may contact the "owner"(in this case the parents or son) for an appropriate response.

As mentioned in the previous answer, in cases of abandonment which is very common, the requestor usually tries first, then submits to the DMV and they will try to contact the owner. In your case you may need to treat this as an abandonment situation to be able to retrieve the information

No matter what you choose your local DMV will allow you to do this through their database.
SpecialistMichael and 47 other General Specialists are ready to help you

Related General Questions