General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

This is another old childrens book Im looking for. It was

This is another old children's...
This is another old children's book I'm looking for. It was a hard-cover picture book, tall and narrow, maybe 7" wide by 12" tall (just a guess), about what animals say. There was a picture of an animal on a page, with a question under it, and the answer on the right-hand page. For example, a picture of a bear, and "What does the bear say?" - and the answer, "Grrrr." The best one is the giraffe: he says "Nothing at all." The illustrations are colorful, reminiscent of Eric Carle's. We read it in the 60's.
1/25/2012
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Hi again, and welcome back to Just Answer.

I'm Cher, the Expert who had helped you last time, with the other book. I just wanted to let you know I'm researching this for you and will be back in touch when I find the information.

Best regards,
Cher
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX no rush. My daughter was thrilled to receive the kitten book on her birthday. This is another she remembers from her childhood...we read it so much it fell apart after 4 kids. She was born in 1960.
You're most welcome! I'm so glad Kathy was thrilled when you presented her with the kitten book on her birthday!

I'll continue to research this one for you. Do you remember if it also won any children's book awards?

Regards,
Cher
I don't know if it won awards; should have. It is for children who are young, learning animal sounds, etc., although my kids loved it when older than that.
Ok, thanks for your additional information. I'll let you know what I can turn up on this one. Thanks for your patience!

Best Regards,
Cher
Hi again,

Do you think it might be this book? http://www.amazon.com/Bunnys-Noisy-Book-Margaret-Brown/dp/078680744X/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_3

Please let me know and if not, I will continue researching.

Best regards,
Cher
Not it. The one I'm looking for is tall and slender - maybe 12-13" tall and 7" wide...very bright colors, with wild and domestic animals (giraffe, lion, duck, etc.)
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional information.

I researched this for a long time, yesterday, but will continue to look further, today. I'm glad you mentioned it contains wild and domestic animals; some books have only 'zoo' animals, others have only 'farm' animals, so that made it more difficult to search.

I'll be back in touch with you later and I thank you for your patience!

Best regards,
Cher
Hi again,

Without a possible author or title, I'm having a hard time locating this book; however, I thought you may spot something that looks/sounds familiar at this site:
http://www.vintagechildrensbooksmykidloves.com/2011/09/brian-wildsmiths-animals.html

I went down the lists and tried to pick out anything to do with animals. I'm still researching for you, though.

You mentioned the artwork was similar to Eric Carle, but it wasn't a board book, was it?
http://www.amazon.com/Very-First-Book-Animal-Sounds/dp/0399246487

Regards,
Cher

Brian Wildsmith's art style looks right! I looked through all of his books listed, but only one was published as early as 1967, and none of the ones shown were the right one. Also hoped the "First Animal Sounds" was it, but it wasn't. Each page would ask "What does the ---- say?" and the facing page gave the sound (printed). I wonder if he did any a little earlier that are out of print? No, it was not a board book, and it was definitely much taller than it was wide. Thanks for looking...It may not be Wildsmith, but the pictures and colors are so much like his!
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

I'm glad Brian Wildsmith's art style looks right...this could be a good 'lead'! I understand completely, what the book looks like inside/outside and how it reads, from your great, detailed descriptions, and I am going to continue to search for this book for you.

Was there any illustration on the cover? If so, can you remember what it was and what color? Was it a 'shiny' cover or more plain?

Regards,
Cher
Shiny cover...My daughter thinks it may have had an owl on the cover. She wondered if the title might have been "Who Says Hoo?" but that is speculation. This was over 40 years ago, maybe 50. Thanks for sticking with it. Jackie
Hi again, Jackie and you're most welcome!

Thanks for your reply with additional and useful information!

I came across "Who Says Hoo" in one of my searches, the other day, but the description didn't seem to be what you had related! Yes, this looks like it! I'm as excited as you are! : )

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHOS-SAYS-HOO-GOLDEN-HAPPY-BOOK-C-1963-TINKELMAN-/140449011829

Now, this copy (above) being sold on eBay is not in great condition, and can't be ordered until 2/2, as the seller is away, but I've also found it for purchase here:
http://www.amazon.com/Who-Says-Hoo-Murray-Tinkelman/dp/B000K02XOG

Tell me what you and Kathy think!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Cher
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs