General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Have you any travel experts on board?? As a means to get a

Customer Question
lower price on flights, a...
Have you any travel experts on board?? As a means to get a lower price on flights, a local travel agent has offered to provide my wife tickets purchased by the travel agents' own accumulated mileage-not ours. We would pay her cash and get the tickets as our receipt. Are we doing anything illegal? For the round trip, my wife will be flying on three separate airlines and will have 3 tickets. Just don't want to get to the counter and be turned away. Any thoughts to ask the travel agent to ensure no hassels?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: General
1/17/2012
Expert: Cher, Educator-40+ yrs replied 6 years ago
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
HiCustomer and welcome back to Just Answer!

From your description of the situation, it sounds like the travel agent is offering you something she shouldn't and I would not recommend taking her up on her offer. It's the travel agent's job to find you the best fares and accommodations, not to offer you her own personal accumulated miles for cash. Travel agents get special deals on travel and accumulate many miles, basically at very little or no charge, so the 'deal' she's offering you does not sound appropriate.

I would try another travel agent to make your travel arrangements in the proper way.

I wish you much good luck!

If you need additional information, please let me know by clicking 'Reply'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you today (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
sounds like you do not really have an opinon based on any criteria and only have the same reservations we do. Thanks anyway
Hello again, and thanks for your reply.

Please read this article, which states that airlines do not permit customers to buy or sell frequent flyer miles:
http://www.smartertravel.com/travel-advice/selling-frequent-flyer-miles.html?id=2379906

Also, please see this, regarding a legal case involving American Airlines and frequent flyer miles:

"In American's program, the world's largest, the prohibition is stated as follows: "At no time may AAdvantage mileage credit or award tickets be purchased, sold, or bartered. Any such mileage or tickets are void if transferred for cash or other consideration." While the above clause is buried beneath a mountain of legal fine print, it's there, and it's unequivocal. And if you look closely enough, you'll find that every other program includes similar verbiage in its terms." Source:
http://www.insideflyer.com/articles/article.php?key=4076

If you have not found my answer helpful, there is no obligation to click 'accept'. My goal is 100% satisfaction.

Best regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs