General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Looking for childrens book, probably Newberry Award, about

Looking for children's book, probably...
Looking for children's book, probably Newberry Award, about Bagatelle, kitten, about 1965 or between 1960 - 1968 - Jacqueline Daves
Answered in 1 day by:
1/8/2012
Angela--Mod
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Yes, I still want an answer. I have looked for years for this book; we got it from the library when my daughter (born in 1960) was around 5 or 6. It was about a lost or homeless kitten named Bagatelle, but I don't think that name was in the title. It had won an award, probably Newberry but could be another, and I think was pretty new. Large size, with abundant pictures for a child. I want to give her a copy for her birthday if possible.

Kim D., Consultant

I think the best we can do for you is to give you the resource to search through since the title will only be recgonizable by you. One of our services is to help people find the right place to get to the info they want.

This is a great site: http://www.waldsfe.org/book%20lists/newbery.htm#1960

Look under 1960's for all the Newberry Award winning books

Best wishes. I think this will help greatly, Dori
PS
Please remember to press "accept" as this is the only way JA pays its experts
for their time and expertise! Thank you.

Kim D., Consultant
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Hi Jacqueline, and welcome to Just Answer.

I found a book that was a Newbery Honor recipient in 1950, written in 1949, entitled "The Blue Cat of Castle Town" by Catherine C. Coblentz, Illustrated by Janice Holland. Here is a summary of the book's story:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Blue-Cat-of-Castle-Town/139438116084168

It's available from Amazon and other booksellers:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Cat-Castle-Town/dp/9997482778

Also, consider these:

The Last Little Cat by Meindert De Jong

Little Cat Lost by Elvira Garner

http://cat31.pagebooks.net/page10.html

(Scroll about 2/3's of the way down the page to see this book)
I'm hoping one of these may be the book you're looking for. If not, please let me know and I will continue to research this important question for you.

This site may also help put you on the right road to finding the book:

If you need additional information, please let me know by clicking 'Reply'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you today (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher
I think it may have been Little Cat Lost by Elvira Garner...They don't say in the description whether they named it Bagatelle, but the story is familiar, and the cover looks right. I am surprised that the date was 1943...making it 20 years old (thereabout) when we read it. The copy listed was $85 but was sold. I still want to find a copy, if it's the right one...Thanks for your help! (It wasn't The Blue Cat... or Last Little Cat.)

Great. I am glad you found this.

I can you find another copy for you. I see these in the World wide rare book market from 12.00-85.00. What level of condition are you looking for..of course not poor but is mint condition important?

Dori

Here are some options to choose from of all different ranges as I need to go off line and wanted to respond before I go.

PS a bonus would be wonderful but I truly wanted to help you with this one...I love that you want to give this to your daughter. :)

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch.detail?BID=8045002167&pwork=0&siteID=tTHlYyiyyBY-3Rz3iU0NLlHwSJmJi3Y4Wg

http://www.iobabooks.com/details.php?dcx=20357187&aid=vialibri

http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dcx=99403055&aid=vialibri&t=1

http://www.biblio.com/details.php?dcx=327159804&aid=vialibri&t=1

Best wishes, Dori

Condition can be good to very good; some on alibris website look ok, $50-65, but trying to make sure kitte receives name Bagatelle. Thanks so much!

Do you still need more options. I have more but I was wondering if those above will work. There are some under 15.00 but I wanted you to have fair to good examples for a gift. The first one has a dustjacket and is the best option but is higher in price. The second one looks just as good for less.

I hope these are opening for you..if not copy and paste them in your http address box at the top of your left hand screen.

Dori

Hello again, Jacqueline and thanks for your reply. I was offline when you posted back.

My name is Cher; I'm the expert who researched and found Little Cat Lost and listed it in my answer as a possibility for you. I'm glad that this book by Elvira Garner looks familiar and is probably the one you remember reading with your daughter, all those years ago!

I researched for many hours, finding titles and descriptions of books that matched what you had said you remembered about it, and yes, the kitten in this book is named 'Bagatelle'! Laughing Below, is a description of the book from a UK bookseller's site, but most of the books are listed as available from vendors in the U.S. and the prices seem reasonable (click on 'convert currency' to see the price in U.S. dollars:

"Book Description: Julian Messner, Inc., New York, 1943. Hard Cover. Book Condition: Fair. No Jacket. Diana Thorne (illustrator). 4to - over 9¾" - 12" tall. 24 pages. 'Bagatelle had spent all of his short kitten life in a fine big house. Sometimes the people in the big house were kind to Bagatelle and he was very happy - but sometimes they forgot all about him.'

If you need additional information, please let me know by clicking 'Reply' and stating the reply is 'For Cher'.

Best regards,
Cher
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX! That's what I needed to know! I will order from list on Alibris. I am excited, and appreciate all your work! Kathy (my daughter) will be thrilled. We named a cat Bagatelle after the one in the book, and had her for many years. Jackie Daves
Hi again, Jackie and you're most welcome!

I'm so glad I could be of help to you and Kathy! I was just wondering whether you intended to accept MY answer, where I found the name of the book for you, or Dori's answer (on which you clicked 'Accept')?

That's so sweet, that you got a kitten and named it Bagatelle, after the kitten in the book! : )

Thanks and best regards,
Cher
I intended to accept your answer with the name of the book. Earlier today, I looked at the alibris web site, and saw several copies, but now their web site says they can't find it; what have I done? I want to order, but can't find it!
Hi again, Jackie and thanks for replying and letting me know you intended to accept my answer with the name of the book.

I will start researching a place for you to buy the book. Did you look at the one I included in my last answer?
http://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/author/garner-elvira/

There are several for sale in different conditions.

Best regards,
Cher
Hi again, Jackie.

I've found this one for you on eBay; it looks to be in very good condition:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Cat-Lost-Garner-Diana-Thorne-DJ-/360213053518

This one from another seller, not as good condition, but less expensive:

Found and bought; thanks so much. Jackie
Hi again, Jackie!

SO glad! Please let me know your daughter's reaction when she opens her birthday
gift!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Best regards and Happy Birthday to Kathy!

Cher
Kim D., Consultant