Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Consultant
Experience:  25+ Years in the field
23511658
Type Your Question Here...

Hello, Making wine for the first time. It is in the final

Making wine for the first time. It is in the final days of the 'clearing' stage and I see that the wine has seemed to of expanded. I had filled the carboy to within an inch and a half to two inches as suggested in the instructions. But now a week later the wine has filled the carboy and is moving into the air lock. Is this normal? A sign that it is done, or not yet as if it were expanding after being bottled I guess this would be worse.
thanks for any help/ advice you may offer.
Cheers!

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello. I can assist you with your question.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

If the temperature has increased, the volume of the wine will increase.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

And as in your case, possibly into the airlock.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

You should remove the excess and maybe have a sip to see what it tastes like at this point.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

In fact, it's a good idea to always leave a little headspace, and that is usually accomplished by taking a sip every now and then to see how it's coming along.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

So, your wine isn't in trouble yet, but it is either done or close to done.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

In the "too much information" category, here's a reference for you. It shows how changing in temperature correlate to changes in volume.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

http://bitli.es/tFOIRM

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Is it me, or do we live in a time where everything we can think of already exists? I wouldn't have known this chart did if you hadn't asked :-)

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

I hope this helps.

Customer:

I think you are right, and definately everything that is ever required. Thanks for locating it for us lazy folk - lol! Much appreciated. Merry cristmas and the very bestest for you and yours in the new years to follow. Cheers!