How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jesse Handel Your Own Question
Jesse Handel
Jesse Handel, Scientist
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 309
Experience:  B.S. Degree Chem. & Bact. 10 yrs tax preparation.
Type Your Question Here...
Jesse Handel is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Where might i get health ins now since the wife left and i

Resolved Question:

Where might i get health ins now since the wife left and i was on with her through her work.
I can stay on with her for awhile and pay her $275 month but would like to secure my own as eventually my arrangement with her will end.Must include dental.Other than that i am pretty healthy at the moment.Try to eat and excersize right.

I am a 60 year old male,single now,self employed,living in NYS,grossing 200K yearly but my net is usually in the red.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Jesse Handel replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for coming to Just Answer. We appreciate the opportunity to help you with your questions. You are correct that you can continue your current health insurance through COBRA (continuing benefits) after you and your wife are legally separated, but your insurance premium will no longer be subsidized and will increase. Since you are self-employed, once you are no longer covered by your wife's health insurance at work, you will be able to deduct 100% of your health insurance premiums on your tax return until you reach age 65 and are eligible for Medicare.

There are a number of companies that offer health insurance programs. These include Blue Cross/Blue Shield, Aetna, and United Healthcare. You can find information on these companies just by searching for their websites.

There are some websites with health insurance information specifically for people that live in New York State. Here are the web addresses:

I hope this information answers your questions. Please let me know if you need more help with this question or if you need clarification of any of this information and I will be glad to continue to help you.

Jesse Handel and 50 other General Specialists are ready to help you