How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anna Your Own Question
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 11544
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...
Anna is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For long time I had this weird thing growing in my basement

Resolved Question:

For long time I had this weird thing growing in my basement for long time it went away and now its back I enclosed 3 photos I have taken.
If I try to kill it with a spry the thing splits out something like a water.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

Some additional information will be helpful.

What did you spray the growth with?

Is your basement damp?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.


I forgot what I spry it with it was 2 years ago Now it came back. My basement is damp sometimes

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I think it was bleach

what do they call that

Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. The growth is a fungus in the mushroom family. Bleach should kill it, but apparently there are spores in your basement, so it will regrow from time to time. You could remove it by hand, and then pour bleach into the crack where it grew. You can also use a fungicide, which would be available in garden shops. The mushrooms themselves are not harmful, but fungicides are quite toxic.

However, you might want to investigate more closely. When mushrooms grow in a basement, it often means there has been a leak which soaked into some wood. If you rent your home, have the landlord check it out. If you own it, you can have a plumber check this. If there are no leaks, a dehumidifier may help. If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna and 30 other General Specialists are ready to help you