Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

I would like to know what this belt buckle symbolizes. It is

I would like to know what this belt buckle symbolizes. It is made of solid brass and appears to be fairly old.
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer.

Can you upload a picture of it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

How do I do that?

Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
You can use the toolbar or use something like rapidshare.com or mediafire.com
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

graphicI hope I got this right

Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
nope :) i see nothing. If you used one of the sharing site i mentioned you need to post the link.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Martin replied 5 years ago.
Picture is now visible. I will opt out as it does not seem obvious to me and let others try. I might come back if i get a flash.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

The buckle is a Phoenix rising from the ashes. It may be from the related to Mythology. It it may just be ornamental buckle. If you scroll down the page to the Phoenix, you will see some information about the symbol: http://www.crossroad.to/Books/symbols1.html Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I realize the main image is that of a Phoenix, however there are underlying images, such as skulls and if turned upside down it shows another image. I was wondering what these images represent and what is the meaning or purpose of them???
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

I really do not see skulls in the image provided. I see the images of a very ornate design to represent the feathers in the wings and the fire rising up from under the talons. I think this is a very nice piece. Egyptians called the Phoenix a bennu, known from the Book of the Dead(which could be why you see the images of skulls).The image when turned upside down may represent the sun god Ra. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help, but I can see that you are not an expert on this subject, however you did a good job and I will accept your answer so you can be paid. I will have to search else where for my answer. Thank you for your time in trying to answer my questions.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

When turned upside down I see the mask of Ra the sun god. Everyone sees something different, but I am sorry you did not find my information as helpful as I hoped it would be. Joan

Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience: I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.