How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mr. Gregory White Your Own Question
Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 5240
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
Type Your Question Here...
Mr. Gregory White is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a refund from a 2004 tax return. I filed the tax return

Resolved Question:

I had a refund from a 2004 tax return. I filed the tax return on time (with extensions), but I dont believe they ever sent me the $. Can I still get it back or is it too late? Is there a time limit by which I have to follow up on a refund not rec'd?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 6 years ago.
Your best bet is to take all of your information including the copy of the 2004 tax form that you completed to your local IRS office - you can find the nearest one at

They will be able to check their databases to find the information regarding the payment information on your refund and can probably tell if the payment was cashed or not. If it was not cashed, it would still be in the system as being owed to you.

However, if for some reason they did not receive the tax return or there was some other issue related to their receipt, there is a 3 year statute of limitations on filing for a tax refund. The government has 10 years in order to collect taxes that are owed, but taxpayers only have 3 years in order to file their taxes and collect a refund of money owed (I know, it does not seem fair). Since you had money owed to you (and not that you owed the government), you might not have even been contacted if they did not receive your tax form.

For more information the the tax limit statutes, you can see more info at

My recommendation is to either call or visit your local IRS office with all of your information as they are the only ones who can track down the information from 2004 in their systems.

All the best as you try to get this worked out - have a great rest of the week and I hope their was just a mix up on their mailing the refund back to you and the money is still in the government "coffers."
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
To make sure I understand this, it is possible that I can still get the money back, correct? My guess is that they issued a check but for various reasons, I did not receive it. So if I go to IRS office, even though it is beyond 3 years, they may still be able to give it to me?
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 6 years ago.
Yes, it is possible, as long as they processed the refund (received it and showed you were eligible for a refund), it will still be there for you. If, however, for some reason they did not receive it (lost in mail, etc) for some reason, then the statue of limitations would be passed and you would not be eligible for a refund after more than 3 years.

If they issued a check and you did not cash it, then the funds are still in their account and should be able to be accessed and returned to you at this time.

Good luck and all the best in getting your refund money that is owed to you.
Mr. Gregory White and 14 other General Specialists are ready to help you