General Jay
General Jay, Problem Solver
Experience:  General contractor, project manager, excellent problem solving skills, retired professional athlete.
14716023
Type Your Question Here...

Last night at 7 30pm it was very dark and raining heavily.

Last night at 7:30pm it was very dark and raining heavily. The weather service reported visibility of 7 miles.

Yesterday am at 7:30 I woke up to a slight dizzle and the weather service reported visibility at 4 miles.

I was using the wunderground web site.

What am I missing here?
Category: General
Expert:  General Jay replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer!

There was obviously a mistake on the website when it was reported as visibility of 7 miles. According to the Weather Network, maximum visibility on a clear day is 7 miles. After 7 miles a flat ground horizon will fall away to a point that surface conditions cannot be observed. Anything beyond the 7 mile mark would require distance visibility markers.

According to their definition of visibility, if it was dark outside and raining heavily, it would lead me to believe that it was posted in error.

Feel free to post any follow-up questions you may have.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm a bit confused.

The weather channel typically shows 10 miles on a clear day?

Are there different definitions of visibility depending on the weather source?

I have attached a link to the definition of visibility according to the Weather Network

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/index.php?product=glossary&placecode=caon0696&pagecontent=visibility

The defiinition does state that it is possible to have a visibility over 7 miles, only it takes a distance marker to determine.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That's a great explanation based on weather network measurements.

My question is what is wunderground and weather channel using to typically come up with 10 miles visibility?

Clearly they are using a different measurement. As I write this at 6:50 am Huntersville

North Carolina shows 8 miles visibility?

Do you know if there are different measurements or not?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry Jay,

When I paid for ths service I expected an expert to reply. Clearly you are not a meterologist. I could google these articles all day but I subscribe to JustAnswer for expert advice.