Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I live in phoenix arizona and im having trouble identifying

I live in phoenix arizona and i'm having trouble identifying a tree. It has solid green bark, many tiny leaves grow on the branches, and very sharp, brown, and hard thorns grow along the smaller branches. I don't believe it grows any flowers either. Any idea what this tree is called?
Hello and welcome back to Just Answer.

I believe the Foothill Palo Verde tree comes closest to your description. The Palo Verde (meaning 'green pole' in Spanish--referring to it's trunk) is the State Tree of Arizona. You can see more detailed information, here:
http://www.landscapearizona.com/tree_descriptions.htm

Scroll down just a little bit on that webpage to "Foothill Palo Verde". This one has a lightish green, almost chartreuse trunk; above this one, is the "Blue Palo Verde", which has a bluish-green trunk.

You can see pictures here: http://phoenix.about.com/od/desertplantsandflowers/ss/paloverdetree.htm

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher