Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Was Franklin D. Roosevelts funeral on television

Was Franklin D. Roosevelt's funeral on television?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt's funeral was not televised, as television was in it's very infancy and not equipped for a live broadcast when FDR died in 1945. The funeral procession/funeral was broadcast on radio with descriptions by commentators. It was filmed, though, and the film is available at the site below, and from many other sources. The film was eventually transferred to video.
http://www.amazon.com/United-News-Release-150-154-FDR/dp/B000TYV1B4

The first national live television broadcast in the United States took place on September 4, 1951. It was of President Harry Truman's speech at the Japanese Peace Treaty Conference in San Francisco, CA.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.

You do not have to buy a copy of the 35mm. film transferred to video. You can watch it free here:

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diwtdQGoXno

At the FDR library site, you can see other FDR video, listen to Fireside Chats, and view photos and other memorabilia.

http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/archives/collections/avcollections.html

Hope this is helpful.

Anna
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My question was... was the funeral service televised at the time of the funeral. It is my understanding that TVs were not readily available during the war.
Expert:  Anna replied 6 years ago.
No, it was not televised at the time of the funeral. It was filmed on 35mm. film, and later converted to video to be televised.

Anna
Expert:  Cher replied 6 years ago.
Hello again, and thanks very much for your accept and most generous bonus.

You are absolutely correct! TV's were not readily available for home use during the war and in the year that FDR died (1945), there were only 7000 working televisions in the nation. Very few 'average' homes owned TV's at that time. Here is more information on the history and technological timeline of TV: http://www.high-techproductions.com/historyoftelevision.htm

Best regards,
Cher