Lady Themis
Lady Themis, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Knowledgeable in a broad range of topics
11297241
Type Your Question Here...

I was curious about the labor laws in GA. I work with small

I was curious about the labor laws in GA. I work with small independent retail store. What are the specific laws relating to what breaks must be given (if any), and can you provide me with links to where it is stated. (Preferably from an official source like a .gov or something)?
Thanks for your time
Category: General
Expert:  Lady Themis replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

Per the Georgia Department of Labor, Georgia state law does not require break periods. Here is the link:

http://www.dol.state.ga.us/js/breaks_and_meals.htm

The information does not indicate whether break periods are required for employees under 18. In many states, the law differentiates between of age employees and younger employees.

Please let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I found that link earlier. I was wandering if there was a specific law that that statement was based on, or at least something from the 'employers' section of the DOL website. I believe the statement in that link is true but I'd like to know if there is a specific law that it is derived from or if it is just based on the lack of a law specifically stating otherwise.

I am not licensed in Georgia, but most states simply do not have statutes that require a break period. There is no statute speaking to the issue, so there is no obligation for the employer to provide breaks. There are exceptions, such as the exceptions for minors I indicated as well as the requirement to offer a break to breastfeeding mothers for the purpose of expressing milk. Those requirements would be in the statutes.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would you be able to link me to the regulations regarding persons under 18?