General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra -

Customer Question
1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra -...
1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra - A few months back my "Service Engine Soon" light came on. My car was running great. The light would stay on for a month then stay off for a month. After a few months of this the light came back on but it would stay on for a week then off for a week. My tags were up so I asked the mechanic to look into it during the inspection. He thought it might be an emissions problem. When I took it in the light was off. He said that the emissions came through fine and that the problem was fixed. Well a few days later the light came back on for about a week. Now the light comes on for a block then off for a block and it's starting to concern me. So, I took it to Pep Boys to get the codes which are: History Codes 1650 Quad Driver B Error & 1405 EGR 3 Solenoid Error. The guys at Pep Boys told me I had to pay $100 Diagnostic just to figure out what the problem is. I want to know what I'm getting into here. What could these codes indicate and should I pay for the diagnostic?
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: General
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/6/2011
Expert: david, Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic replied 6 years ago
david
david, Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic

david :

HI thank you for your info hope this helps.

P1650
The PCM controls many engine devices through the use of a Quad-Driver Module (QDM) In your case this code is pointing to the QDM B witch controls transmission shift solenoid A and B, Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) Pulse Width Modulated solenoid and three Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) solenoids.

david :

p1650 is not the problem this is just telling you there is a problem in this circuit.

david :

So I think the problem can be teased to the P1405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Valve 3

david :

First hing I would do is remove the EGR valve and check that it is clean and moving freely. next check the intake ports were the EGR mounts be sure the ports are open and free of deposits and build up.

david :

In most cases replacing the valve will not fix the problem. This is ether electrical or build up caused problem.

Customer:

Hi.. are you there now?

david :

I am online all day yes. I am bouncing from customer to customer though so if I am not replaying back it is because I am helping another customer and will get right back to you.

Customer:

Ok thank you. I'm more interested in the possible costs involved. My car is only blue booked at $1,500 bucks so it's not really worth it for me to spend a grand fishing around for a fix. Will this problem eventually cause my car to stop working? If so, how long would that take. Also, is it worth paying for a diagnostic or would it be enough to print this out and take it to a mechanic?

david :

Cost is a hard thing to say do to shop rate and time involved. But removing the and checking the EGR should not tack more than an hour.

As for the car only being worth 1,500, If you put a grand into it it can last another 10 years.

And yes this problem can cause your car to stop running over time. I can not say when it will go there is know way of knowing that.

Now about the diagnostic you should ask then if you have them do the diagnostic and they fix it will the diagnostic be included in the total. Think of it as free if you let them do the work.

Customer:

Ok... thank you very much for the information!

david
david, Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic
david
david
david, Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic