General

Ask Experts & Get Answers to Your Questions - ASAP

General

I AM LOOKING FOR A MORE ATTRACTANT BAIT FOR TERMITES

Customer Question
I AM LOOKING FOR...
I AM LOOKING FOR A MORE ATTRACTANT BAIT FOR TERMITES THAN A REGULAR STICK OF WOOD THAT THE SENTRICON SYSTEM USES. IS THERE ANYTHING BETTER THAN AN ORDINARDY STICK OF WOOD? LOOKING FROM THE TERMITE PERSPECTIVE A TERMITE WILL HAVE MY WHOLE HOUSE TO EAT, RATHER THAN A STICK OF WOOD PLACED AT 10 FOOT INTERVALS AROUND MY HOUSE.

IS THERE A BETTER BAITING SYSTEM THAN SENTRICON? THANK YOU
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: General
6/30/2011
Expert: Cher, Educator-40+ yrs replied 6 years ago
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Hello and welcome back to Just Answer.

I'm so sorry to hear you are still experiencing a problem with termites, even after having your house tented and using various products. Tenting can be effective, but is only good against certain species of termites, so this may be why it did not eradicate the problem.

If the Sentricon baiting system was not effective for you, you might try "Exterra" in addition to the Thermidor ground treatment. Here is detailed information: http://www.termite.com/exterra.html

There are other things you can do to try to discourage future infestation and minimize the current one:

--Fix leaking and worn-out faucets to prevent moist spots. Moist and damp places encourage termite growth.
--Keep your gutters clean and repair all leakages. This will help in keeping your house moisture free.
--It's always best to stack wood products and firewood above the ground.
--If you observe any cracks or openings inside or outside your house, patch them up.
--Seal all cracks in walls and foundation.
--Cover all the outside vents with fine screen.
--To prevent your wood from damage, treat it with specialized timber treatments.
--Avoid accumulation of water in your foundation.
--It's best to remove all timber waste.
--Select a dry, well ventilated area to store firewood or timber.

I hope this frustrating problem is resolved for you very soon!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.
I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!
Best regards,
Cher
THANK YOU FOR THE ARTICLE. PLEASE ANSWER THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION. WHAT KIND OF BAIT IS BETTER THAN A STICK OF WOOD? EXTERRA SOUNDS JUST LIKE SENTRICON. THEY BOTH USE A STICK OF WOOD IN THE BAITING STATIONS.

THERE MUST BE SOMETHING BETTER THAN A STICK OF WOOD, OTHERWISE AS THE ARTICLE POINTS OUT, THE CHANCES THAT THE TERMITES FINDING THE BAITING STATION ARE RANDOM. THE WHOLE HOUSE IS A MUCH LARGER BAIT THAN STATIONS AROUND THE HOUSE.
Hello again, and you're most welcome! Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you are correct, that the whole house is a much larger bait than the individual stations positioned around the house; however, please keep in mind that these baits are not 'just' a stick of wood--they are treated with an attractant to lure the termites to it, and then when they ingest the poison contained in the bait, they will bring it back to the colony and share with other termites, killing off the population of the entire colony. The baiting stations are subterranean, where termites dwell, so if they are attracted to, and eat the bait, they will eat that wood, rather than the wood in your house, and they will be eradicated.

I have researched this for you extensively, and all the suggestions mentioned, including sealing up all cracks and crevices and finding entry points where they are coming in, plus reducing moisture in any particular and dark areas, as they are attracted by that, are the best ways recommended, to get rid of termites along with the pesticides.

Take a look at the baiting stations and products from this company and see if they will better suit your needs:
http://www.epestsupply.com/how-to-kill-and-get-rid-of-termites.php

http://www.epestsupply.com/product/HSYNGENTAKIT/SecureChoice-Termite-Detection-And-Baiting-Kit/

If you have already had a professional exterminator evaluate and treat your house and surrounding areas, it would be a good idea to ask the company to identify the species of termite you have, so then the most effective pesticide may be used.

Best regards,
Cher
DEAR XXXXX A GREAT JOB ON SUGGESTIONS , BUT I HAVE YET TO XXXXX ANSWER TO THE QUESTION: " WHAT IS A BETTER BAIT THAN A PIIECE OF WOOD"? I HAVE SENT EMAILS TO SEVERAL OF THE CONTACTS THAT YOUR ANSWER PROVIDED. I WILL GET BACK TO YOU AFTER I HEAR FROM THE OTHER SOURCES. THANK YOU. I WENT TO XXXXX U OF HAWAII ENTOMOLOGY DEPT. I CAN TELL THAT YOU ARE EXPERIENCE AND WELL INFORMED. WILL GET BACK TO YOU AND ACCEPT YOUR ANSWER AS SOON AS I FIND A BETTER
Hi again, and thanks for your reply and kind words.

I know, it seems frustrating, but there really IS no better bait than a piece of (treated) wood, because that's what attracts termites and that's what they eat. : ) Depending on your reason for using the baiting station--if people want to 'monitor' for termites and aren't sure they are present, but want to prevent them, plain wood is used at first, to see if there is 'evidence' of the critters--or if you know for a fact you have termites and want to eradicate the colony--the termites are attracted to the wood which is treated with pesticide that kills them. It's not 'just' a piece of wood, in THOSE baiting stations which are not only checking for termites, but 'treated' wood in stations that are placed in areas around a home that has already been identified with having a termite problem.

Here is another brand of bait station I found for you:
http://advancetermitebaitsystem.wordpress.com/ and it's mentioned here, too:
http://aatermitepest.com/termiteservices.htm

More info on how the wood is treated with the termiticide, so when they eat it, it kills them:
http://www.termiteweb.com/termite-control-using-termite-bait-stations/

Best regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
THANKS CHER, I KNOW YOU REALLY WORKED ON THIS ONE. GOOD JOB.
Hi again, and you're most welome!

Your accept, most generous bonus, and kind words are greatly appreciated!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs