How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Consultant
Category: General
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  attorney and legal researcher
Type Your Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have an IRA Annuity and want to try to make sure it is protected

Resolved Question:

I have an IRA Annuity and want to try to make sure it is protected if for instance I would ever get sued. All other assets are Tenants by the Entireties but the IRA only has my name, with my wife as beneficiary. Is that protected in its present form or should I change the ownership? What do I need to do...if anything. Thanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: General
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am an attorney with 25+ years of legal experience and am working diligently on your answer while I await your response.

Please tell me:
What state do you reside in?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

Thank you. I will strive to provide you with legal information to assist you. If my answer is not clear to you, I encourage you to ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

IRAs are exempt from the claims of creditors under Maryland Statute 11-504. You may read the statute at this link:

I hope that it helps to know this information

Thank you in advance for remembering to click accept. If you experience difficulty using the accept button, please let me know as JustAnswer pays me for my time only if the "accept" registers.
Ellen and 42 other General Specialists are ready to help you

Related General Questions